By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Pokemon OR/AS getting so little hype?

Tagged games:

In May, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire were announced for the 3DS to be released in November.  They orginally showed very little, but I thought nothing of it, assuming that they were saving it for E3.  But what happened at E3?  These games got close to no attention at all.  I found this very strange, considering: 

1. Pokemon is a huge franchise.  No explanation needed there.

2. It is the only major 3DS other than Smash coming out before 2014 ends.  They need this title to promote 3DS sales.  Also, since this E3 was so Wii U oriented (understandably so), big promotions of these games could make the 3DS lineup look noticeably better.

Now I know that these are remakes, so obviously they wouldn't get as much attention as X and Y.  I've only been following gaming news so intensely for about two years now; was the amount of promotion the same for HeartGold and SoulSilver?  (Because those had satisfactory sales.)

Is Nintendo trying to give the Wii U all of the attention?

Is Nintendo trying to keep sales of X and Y up for as long as they can?

Is there another factor I don't know about?

Is this normal for Pokemon remakes?

I had set a goal for these games to reach 10M, and I thought that it certainly would be doable.  Although now the lack of hype has me questioning that.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network

Perhaps like u said they dont want it to prematurely hurt X/Y sales, im sure it will get alot of hype and advertising in the coming months.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

^ Besides, the whole "3D world" thing hype has already worn off. People are excited, yes. Those basic ass videos that served as first trailers on Youtube have a shitload of views, considering the type of video they are. I'm sure Nintendo will work their magic soon so the world talks about OR/AS in the upcoming months.

There's nothing exciting about it except for the fact that it's Hoenn, it has upgraded graphics (relatively speaking, they still look like trash), and those brass instruments. It'll probably sell less than X/Y, just like HG/SS sold less than both D/P and B/W.

Eh, pokemon is starting to wear off on me. They are becoming a distant, but very fund memory. The game lacks innovation at this point and its easy as fuck (unless you go try hard on stats, etc)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Its the same game. The graphics in 2014 look like ass and there are no new major additions.
Plus people have gotten tired of Nintendo milking Pokemon. We have gotten a Pokemon game every year for what feels like the past 5 years.

Finally, would it kill Nintendo to release OR and AS as one package?? Are they that greedy and arrogant?

MS is releasing Halo MCC as one package.
Sony has released countless HD collections.
Nintendo would like its Pokemon fans to bend backwards and buy two copies of essentially the same game.

Its a cash grab and media and fans have gotten tired of it.

Im just waiting for a new console Pokemon...

Another thing I just thought of, there really is no need for hyping it to extreme levels due to the fact that the majority of the Pokemon fanbase is already on 3DS. Gen 3/4/5 each sold about 16.5m give or take a million and with X/Y already over 12m at the end of March, its safe to assume most Pokemon fans already own a 3DS.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

forethought14 said:

There's nothing exciting about it except for the fact that it's Hoenn, it has upgraded graphics (relatively speaking, they still look like trash), and those brass instruments. It'll probably sell less than X/Y, just like HG/SS sold less than both D/P and B/W.

Of course it'll sell less, they are remakes! Should do no less thn 6mil and no more than 11mil lifetime. (HG/SS were games based off of 23mil+ sellers and were on DS)

Dark Chaos said:

Its the same game. The graphics in 2014 look like ass and there are no new major additions.
Plus people have gotten tired of Nintendo milking Pokemon. We have gotten a Pokemon game every year for what feels like the past 5 years.

Finally, would it kill Nintendo to release OR and AS as one package?? Are they that greedy and arrogant?

MS is releasing Halo MCC as one package.
Sony has released countless HD collections.
Nintendo would like its Pokemon fans to bend backwards and buy two copies of essentially the same game.

Its a cash grab and media and fans have gotten tired of it.

Obviously fans arent sick of it since the games still continue to consistantly sell huge amounts. Back in April, Nintendo gave official numbers for some of the previous Pokemon games.

Ruby/Sapphire (2002)-16.22m

FireRed/LeafGreen (2004)-12m

Diamond/Pearl (2006)-17.63m

HeartGold/SoulSilver (2009)-12.67m

Black/White (2010)-15.42m

X/Y (2013)-12m and counting

X/Y will likely go on to sell over 15m like the previous new gens and OR/AS will likely sell over 10m just like the previous remakes.