By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Assuming it releases, could Watch Dogs U do well enough to begin establishing a base on the Wii U?

Tagged games:

What do you think?

Pfft, it's totally canceled. 17 11.56%

It'll release, but it'l... 32 21.77%

Yeah, Ubisoft might have ... 35 23.81%

It'll do okay, might eve... 20 13.61%

It'll establish a small ... 26 17.69%

Wii U! How U will play next! :B 10 6.80%

How the heck should I know?! (See results) 6 4.08%

Total:146

With the recent success of Watch Dogs, it's clear that there's a lot of hype surrounding the game. Nintendo-only console gamers have no way to play it currently, however, and their version is supposed to release in the fall/winter, so there should still be an audience for it, wouldn't you think? Here's some reasons why I think it might do okay:

1. As I said, some Nintendo gamers haven't had a chance to play it yet.

2. Due to the hype, those gamers might actually be interested, since it's not an established "Xbox/Playstation" franchise like Assassin's Creed is. The newness of the IP might give the game a clean slate with Wii U gamers, especially if Ubisoft do my next point...

3. The Wii U version alone got delayed, why is this? PS3/360 versions didn't, so why Wii U? Most likely because it's to implement special Wii U features. Ubisoft has been good about supporting the gamepad, because they know that's what makes third party games sell on Wii U. The game seems like it has a lot of potential here, so I can't imagine they wouldn't do this. If that happens, it should increase Nintendo gamer's interest in it, it certainly would interest me. It might even interest some multi-platform-owning gamers that are big fans of the game and want to experience it with the unique features. They'll probably reveal these features well after E3 and after the sales for other versions die down, so that it doesn't turn anyone away from the other versions and waits till people will actually pay attention to the new version. Basically it looks to me like a Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition sort of situation, except the game will be released within a reasonable time after the initial launch so it doesn't feel like a horrifically late half assed port.

4. Word of mouth from the first versions, combined with the previous point, could lead to a decent amount of hype to build around the new version. This of course assumes a fall/winter release date and not a delay to next year.

5. The game already has 30k preorders in the US alone, and the PC version debuted at 40k in the US. Given time for this to build, I could see preorders being 50k for US alone. Worldwide, it should stand a chance to do better than the PC version, and might approach last gen versions.

6. Nintendo games have legs, even the third party games. This might be due to Nintendo gamers mainly getting first party then going back for 3rd party in dry periods, but it's certainly the case that even 3rd party games stretch out farther than they have any business doing when they're on a Nintendo system.

So if we consider the PC version to not be a flop, and the Wii U version seems likely to do a little better, I'd say the Wii U version can't be called a complete flop, certainly not by Wii U third party standards. Quite honestly, I think it stands a chance to compete with ZombiU, and ultimately become the best selling third party game on the system. 750k lifetime (compared to probably about 8 million across the other 5 systems) doesn't seem to bad for a 3rd party Wii U game.

What do you think? Could Watch Dogs U become the top selling 3rd party game on the Wii U? Would that make it a relative success? At least enough to warrant the Wii U getting the inevitable Watch Dogs sequel? Could the base established from the first grow in future games to make a nice little Wii U base?

Or am I just crazy? Yeah, probably that one.

Around the Network

Nahh its gonna flop cause by the time it releases, majority of the people would have played it by then on other platforms whether it be other 8th gen or 7th gen or PC... Sure, some might wait which is why it will get some sales but there is no way its not gonna be a flop on the wiiU... And of course, ubisoft will blame it on the wiiU and not the fact that they are releasing it few months after its been released on other consoles

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

it will probably flop on Wii U since most Nintendo fans that were looking forward to the game probably just got it on another system 

like myself :P

Don't think so at all.

Depends. The game's doing boffo with the general public, so that might spill over to a small degree even on Wii U. On the other hand, reviews aren't great and Wii U buyers are more likely to be core Nintendo fans who are going to be the kind of people to read reviews.

On the flip side, the game's great success might prompt Ubisoft to give the Wii U version a bit of a push (special collectors edition or something? Kinda "Armored Edition" or "Razor's Edge")

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

By then the Watch_Dogs hype would have faded away, thus ruining the small chance of the game selling somewhat decently on The U.

No. Not enough jumping for Nintendo fans.

Really, though, you can't really compare with PC physical numbers. Digital will comprise a much, much greater percentage of sales on PC than on consoles.

I'll be really surprised if it does well on Wii U. I don't even think it's a test at this point, but more of a "eh, why not" move. It would be kind of nifty if Nintendo fans showed them that they're interested in more than Mario and Zelda, though. However, those that want to play it, and have other systems, aren't likely to wait, making it a gimped version from the start.

I think it would flop. I was way hype for the game and decided to wait it out for my Wii U but the reviews and gameplay video really crushed all the hype I had for the game. Maybe if the game does bring us special ganepad controls I would pick it up but no way am I going to preorder this. I say that if they do incorporate the gamepad in a good way then sales for the game would pick up after the first week as people wait to see how the game is before purchasing.

Mr Khan said:
Depends. The game's doing boffo with the general public, so that might spill over to a small degree even on Wii U. On the other hand, reviews aren't great and Wii U buyers are more likely to be core Nintendo fans who are going to be the kind of people to read reviews.

On the flip side, the game's great success might prompt Ubisoft to give the Wii U version a bit of a push (special collectors edition or something? Kinda "Armored Edition" or "Razor's Edge")

That would be a smart move.  It wouldn't take much effort to fix problems and add a bit more polish, not with the extra time they have.  The Wii U got by far the best version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for instance, by virtue of a late release.  Nintendo needs to get on that and make it happen.  

pokoko said:
No. Not enough jumping for Nintendo fans.

Really, though, you can't really compare with PC physical numbers. Digital will comprise a much, much greater percentage of sales on PC than on consoles.

I'll be really surprised if it does well on Wii U. I don't even think it's a test at this point, but more of a "eh, why not" move. It would be kind of nifty if Nintendo fans showed them that they're interested in more than Mario and Zelda, though. However, those that want to play it, and have other systems, aren't likely to wait, making it a gimped version from the start.

You forgot to add that it's not a game for kids.