By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo new platform announced (NFP)

Tagged games:

Nintendo NFP?

Great move, Skylanders ma... 28 50.00%

Not a good idea, they tri... 9 16.07%

It will make some profit,... 18 32.14%

Total:55

Codenamed NFP (Nintendo Figurine Platform and NFC Featured Platform), the new hardware will feature classic iconic Nintendo character IP (Intellectual Property) figurines that support built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) technology.

At first sight, as seen in the image above, the cute and seemingly simple figurines may appear to be mere add-on accessories, but Mr. Iwata makes it quite clear that these toys are much more than physical Nintendo memorabilia for fans to collect.

What is especially unique about NFP is that it is not classed as an accessory product of a certain software title but as a platform itself.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

One day, someone is gonna get slapped for coming out with titles like these :/

Anyway! I want to see the game thats its gonna be used on more than anything else. If they do it right, yay, if not, fuck

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Meh, never really got the Skylanders craze so I doubt I'll buy into this. It could be a huge hit with the kids though.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Meh, never really got the Skylanders craze so I doubt I'll buy into this. It could be a huge hit with the kids though.

Actually, Nintendo can make good games to go along with the toys, so that could be really cool. Like, imagine a RPG were you summon some nintendo character using the figurine or something like that. But I guess you are right, not that interesting to us grown ups, but the kids will love it!

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
VanceIX said:

Actually, Nintendo can make good games to go along with the toys, so that could be really cool. Like, imagine a RPG were you summon some nintendo character using the figurine or something like that. But I guess you are right, not that interesting to us grown ups, but the kids will love it!

I'm sure they'll make some pretty cool games, but playing a game centered around overpriced collectible toys sounds kinda weird, lol. But yeah, kids love this stuff, and if I were a decade younger I might have too.

Around the Network

I mean fighting games were only so popular until Smash Bros. came along and got millions more interested that otherwise wouldn't have been, simply by virtue of it involving Nintendo characters. I wouldn't touch Skylanders with a 39 1/2 foot pole, because it's the unholy reanimated corpse of Spyro, a franchise that used to be good. Disney Infinity looked a lot more interesting, but Disney IP wasn't quite enough to get me to pay that kind of money. Nintendo characters though, I'd go for that. And better yet, Nintendo put the Pokemon figures for Pokemon Rumble at just $4 originally! If they do that again, I'd totally go for it! Hell, I'd pay that much just for a hunk of plastic that resembles Link, much less a statue of Link that doubles as a video game accessory.

VanceIX said:
WagnerPaiva said:
VanceIX said:

I'm sure they'll make some pretty cool games, but playing a game centered around overpriced collectible toys sounds kinda weird, lol. But yeah, kids love this stuff, and if I were a decade younger I might have too.

Sure, I agree. Never touched Skylanders or Disney Infinity, but I wonder what would happen if a REALLY GOOD game came along with the little toys. In a way, it would be kinda sad...

But I think this is a sure bet for Nintendo, they have cool and coloful characters!

i wonder how long till someone here claims that skylanders and disney infinity ripped off nintendo?

not long id imagine.

WagnerPaiva said:
VanceIX said:
WagnerPaiva said:
VanceIX said:

Sure, I agree. Never touched Skylanders or Disney Infinity, but I wonder what would happen if a REALLY GOOD game came along with the little toys. In a way, it would be kinda sad...

But I think this is a sure bet for Nintendo, they have cool and coloful characters!

Very true. If Nintendo's next great hit is a collection game, then it would be amazing for them, but I agree that it would be a little saddening, since it would be the only major Nintendo series that I would probably never get into. Collectibles feel like pay-to-win for me, but if it helps turn around Nintendo's fortunes and makes a lot of kids happy, who am I to judge?

Irrelevant title gets irrelevant gif.