By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's up with Final Fantasy VI's cast?

Tagged games:

This is something that has always bothered me. One of the main praises that FFVI get, is that the entire cast is well-developed and meaningul to the story - so much so, that you can't even define who the protagonist is.

I saw the complete opposite: the most inflated cast on the series. Half of the characters are completely useless (in battle, in the story, or both. Mostly both). I can clearly see the protagonist on the first half is Terra, and Celes is the main character of the second half (which is a trainwreck btw, but whatever). In the game's defense, the ones who matter are pretty good. Edgar and Sabin are two of my favorites on the series, but guys, are you seeing something I'm not? It's not a troll attempt, I'm genuinely interested in why people love the game's cast SO MUCH.

Around the Network

I am about as confused as you. I think its a decent game, but it certainly doesnt reach the levels of VII and IX.

I believe its the nostalgia. I am sure that for the time it came out, it was a really good game.

Thank God you didn't say anything bad about Cyan Garamonde, or I would have gone bananas.

The best of all the Final Fantasy games, in my opinion. So many of the characters are interesting, they have their own conflicts and problems, and the game does a good job of displaying their emotions to you. The theme isn't really about 'main characters' but rather characters being tied to other characters, like links in a chain that make them stronger. We don't have one character gritting his teeth and saving the world with his giant sword, we have a group of characters who are able to preserver because they are together.

You might want to avoid Suikoden, as it has 108 playable characters.

Aside from Umaro, Gogo, Mog and General Leo, every other character is pretty well developed. But Setzer Gabbiani is the best.

Around the Network

artur-fernand said:

This is something that has always bothered me. One of the main praises that FFVI get, is that the entire cast is well-developed and meaningul to the story - so much so, that you can't even define who the protagonist is.

I saw the complete opposite: the most inflated cast on the series. Half of the characters are completely useless (in battle, in the story, or both. Mostly both). I can clearly see the protagonist on the first half is Terra, and Celes is the main character of the second half (which is a trainwreck btw, but whatever). In the game's defense, the ones who matter are pretty good. Edgar and Sabin are two of my favorites on the series, but guys, are you seeing something I'm not? It's not a troll attempt, I'm genuinely interested in why people love the game's cast SO MUCH.

I'd say big part of why you don't care too much for the game is because your spoiled by today's offerings in the RPG genres, you never got to experience the game when it was first released on the limited hardware at the time so you can never understand why the game gathers so much love. Yes nostalgia may play a role in the game's greatness but it not the only reason.

Btw VI is not my favorite RPG or FF game either so don't assume i am 1 of those FFVI loyalist who gathers a pitchfork and torch when someone questions it's greatness haha but i do understand why the game is considered so good. Btw how do you feel about Chrono Trigger?

Nem said:

I am about as confused as you. I think its a decent game, but it certainly doesnt reach the levels of VII and IX.

I believe its the nostalgia. I am sure that for the time it came out, it was a really good game.

Pretty much this. I enjoyed IV, IX, X, and (dare I say it) even XII more than XI.

A great game, just not my favourite. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Your opinion is wrong. :P Anyway, other than a few: all of the characters have interesting, but more importantly -realistic, back-stories. Moreover, they're unique as far as combat is concerned (characters in many other final fantasy games can replace each other, easily, and there are fewer of them.)

My most memorable experiences involving the characters  is how they interact with each-other.

I actually feel that FF4 was better, and in fact the best mainline FF game.

Nothing beats FF Tactics though.