By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Wii U Owners Not Buy 3rd Party Games?

Tagged games:

Why do Wii U owners not buy 3rd party games? Seriously, why don't they? I think sales for a lot of 3rd party game are terrible. Here are some examples:

Injustice: Gods Among Us - .08 M. Global

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - .05 M. Global

Call of Duty: Ghosts - .15M Global

Even Rayman Legends, a game orginally made for WiI U and is the best experience on Wii U hasn't had to great of numbers:

Rayman Legends -.32 M. Global

I know that Nintendo Fans, myself included, prefer Nintendo games, but with the lack of Nintendo games on the Wii U why not buy these games.

By the way I have seven 3rd party games in my Wii U collection of sixteen games so I don't know if that makes me part of the problem.

Around the Network

Because there are hardly any Wii U owners, it's a matter of scale

Most Nintendo fans who care about those games buy them on other consoles.

Others are content replaying old Nintendo games.

And really for most average gamers, there's plenty enough Nintendo games out there to try and not run out for awhile.

It's also a matter of demographics and how well games are marketed. Games like Just Dance, Skylanders and Disney Infinity all sell well on Wii U compared to competitors.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

most third party games lack the quality that Nintendo fans expect from their games

I got Injustice, Batman: Arkham City, Scribblenaunts Unlimited, Rayman Legends, ZombiU and Sonic Lost World for Wii U 3rd parties (not including digital only titles, would W101 count?). So I think I have had my fare share of 3rd party titles, still wanna get Dues Ex and Scribblenaunts Unmasked probably this Summer.

In some cases the games were a bit gimped:

Batman had framerate issues (tho the new shock gloves and all the DLC was a nice bonus after my PC version crapped out on me).
Injustice lacked some DLC characters, online options, the app promotion, and some alternate skins.

In other cases the games were sent to die:

Mass Effect 3 releasing for $60, when weeks later the Trilogy released for other systems at a fraction of the cost.

On another note:

Rayman actually did well considering it sold the 2nd most on the Wii U, just barely behind the PS3 version.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

Most cause the wiiU doesn't get the same treatment as other consoles when it comes to third party like lack of dlc, frame rate issues and etc

But overall, its mainly cause I like playing it on PC rather than consoles (all consoles, not just wiiU)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

there is no mario or link on the cover

Because most of them buy them on other consoles.

I buy them on other plattforms (PC) because most Wii U games are just bad ports. Watch Dogs for example wont get any DLCs on the Wii U and will come out a few month after the other versions.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

There's a reason Rayman legends didn't sell as well as it would of, if they hadn't of screwed WiiU owners around, I'll but 3rd party games were the 3rd party developers has put in effort.