By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry - Final Fantasy X/X2 HD face-off

Tagged games:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-final-fantasy-hd-remaster-face-off

Plenty of interesting things in there if you're into that kinda stuff, but the most importantly the verdict:

It's impossible to come away from this remaster without acknowledging the Vita version as a real success here. Frame-rate issues do factor here, but insofar as matching the visual quality of an already impressive PS3 update point-for-point (overlooking texture downgrades which go unnoticed on its smaller screen), it stands as one of the handheld's prouder moments. Given that precise twitch controls are hardly the basis of an RPG's appeal in the first place, the push for comparable visuals is understandable.

As for the PS3 release, with any major resolution boost comes the risk of revealing an older game's pixellated underbelly. Fortunately, Square Enix's treatment of this project is well pitched for the home console. Short of remaking it outright, tasking Virtuos with tackling the textures, lighting, and even sprucing up the character models makes replaying the game after all these years feel that much more worthwhile. The only real casualty of the conversion is the cropping to its otherwise sublime FMVs, in order to suit a new widescreen aspect ratio. It's a point that's hard to overlook, but also an inevitability given the company's reliance on pre-rendered assets in that era.

All in all, after being handed a wide spectrum of PS2-era ports in recent years, ranging from the dire to the definitive, we're glad to see Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD Remaster easily ranks alongside the latter.

Around the Network

I bought the special edition, but haven't got a chance to play it yet, good to hear its the definitive version. 

Yay. I think I still have my PS2 copy but I'd love to play it again on my Vita.

I've never noticed until I saw them side by side, but how the hell did they manage to make the game look worse?

Idk why but I like the hair color on the originals better than the HD ones as well as their faces but it might be nestalgia kicking in... Good port though.. The ps3 one looks awesome

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

It's amazing how improved AA + resolution can make things seem smoother without increasing the frame rate.

Just noticed they seem to have changed the colour saturation in the HD version, but it's not consistent. Sometimes the PS3/Vita versions look too fleshed out:

And other times it's the PS2 version that's fleshed out:

Seems kinda odd o.o Still, looking forward to playing. I quite liked 10.

I'm a bit disappointed with this remaster - they took a lot of time and I thought it would be very special, but they didn't even update most of the textures, but the biggest disappointment is the loading times - the original PS2 version has almost no loading times but this remaster has them constantly and they break the immersion. If I ever replay this game again I will think twice which version to choose, unless I have a Vita by then.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

The Vita version looks worse than the PS2 version outside of being in wide screen. Click on the link and then go to the comparison tool images. Every single Vita image is noticeably worse than the PS2 version images. I'd rather have jaggies than the AA creating a heavy amount of blur.

Play like was already stated earlier in the thread. The HD isn't consistent in its color saturation. In one section it's got increased gamma with a more washed out look, while in another section it's less gamma with darker more vibrant colors. There's no way to change that because if I change it on my tv, I'll have to change it back.

Also, such a ridiculously long time doing this port. Wasn't it announced three years ago? They should have given it to Blue Point Games. They more than likely would have did a much better job in six months per game.

Still can't decide whether to go PS3 or Vita, I'd like it on a portable but I would have to buy a new memory card for X-2 (4GB + KZ:Merc patch won't cut it), plus PS3 has a delicious 1080p mode.

Decisions...