Reviewers should

State which difficulty they play on 25 48.08%

Always play on Hard 4 7.69%

State completion time 0 0%

All of the above 8 15.38%

Some of the above 14 26.92%

Total:51

Hey Guys,

I took Tuesday off work and started playing Stick of Truth on Monday with my buddy @7pm. Tuesday morning @5am we finished it. We played on hard (as we always do), and this became quite a topic during our playthrough.

A number of reviewers have stated that the game is too easy. I am quite a seasoned gamer and my buddy is a game dev that's been playing games since he could walk, so we're not too shabby at all. We didn't find the game too easy. In fact, it was clear that 'hard mode' was meant for the 'real gamers' that wanted to play SP, while the other modes are for those that just want to play through it.

In my opinion reviewers lose out on a major aspect of a game by playing through on normal or (god forbid) easy. A game is meant to be fun, and when things are too easy it's not fun (like Final Fantasy XIII which sucked balls). Only on harder difficulties do the nuances of a gameplay system become apparant. Otherwise you miss out on the game design since you are mindlessly mashing buttons and just focusing on the visuals/story.

Another example is God of War III. It NEEDS to be played at the higher difficulties. Otherwise the player will NEVER understand how Kratos can really move and how he needs to use various attacks to control the battlefield.

This thread makes the statement:

- Reviewers should state which difficulty they played the game on

- Reviewers should state their completion time

My opinion is that this will never happen of course. There are many gaming journos out there who aren't worth their salt and things usually slide towards the lowest common denominator.

-----

For those that are wondering, SP:SoT is a brilliant 9/10 in my opinion. If it had multiplayer it would've been 10/10. I think they could've squeezed a co-op in. And also, more than 2 players in a party would've been bonkers. But as it stands it is a fantastic experience, and an absolute miracle in digital form for fans.

Around the Network

I also played on hard and still found it to be too easy. Since you mentiones FF 13, I had more trouble getting through that game than through South Park (complete, all quests and stuff. Screw Kaktorius!).

It didn't bother me THAT much. It's like a playable South Park episode for me. The story is kinda boring compared to the show and it's mostly fan service with all kinds of stuff at every corner. But it's good enough for finally a decent South Park game as every other South Park game before sucked ass.

But all in all, it's short, it lacks in terms of gameplay and I also encountered some bugs (PC version). So compared to other games, I can't possibly give this game a 9/10 even as a big fan of the show. 7/10 is more like it imo. It's not bad, it's really good, but it's also not mind blowing.

Princess Kenny is awesome though. :P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

nah.the game is too easy if you played loads of turn-based games

Reviewers play on Normal at most to blaze through the game so they could write up a review.
Those, at the least, completed the story.

It's not uncommon to find reviewers playing an hour and then paraphrase existing reviews.

The difference between a job and a hobby is huge.

Can you toggle between difficulty levels at any time during a Stick of Truth playthrough?

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Can you toggle between difficulty levels at any time during a Stick of Truth playthrough?

Yeah. I'm not sure if you can go back up once you go down though.

OdinHades said:
I also played on hard and still found it to be too easy. Since you mentiones FF 13, I had more trouble getting through that game than through South Park (complete, all quests and stuff. Screw Kaktorius!).

It didn't bother me THAT much. It's like a playable South Park episode for me. The story is kinda boring compared to the show and it's mostly fan service with all kinds of stuff at every corner. But it's good enough for finally a decent South Park game as every other South Park game before sucked ass.

But all in all, it's short, it lacks in terms of gameplay and I also encountered some bugs (PC version). So compared to other games, I can't possibly give this game a 9/10 even as a big fan of the show. 7/10 is more like it imo. It's not bad, it's really good, but it's also not mind blowing.

"I also played on hard and still found it to be too easy."

Could've been harder imo, but I don't think it was too easy.

"The story is kinda boring compared to the show"

Wut.

"it's mostly fan service with all kinds of stuff at every corner"

It's a fan's wet dream.

"But all in all, it's short, it lacks in terms of gameplay and I also encountered some bugs (PC version). So compared to other games, I can't possibly give this game a 9/10 even as a big fan of the show. 7/10 is more like it imo. It's not bad, it's really good, but it's also not mind blowing"

You don't sound like a big enough fan O_o

Galaki said:
Reviewers play on Normal at most to blaze through the game so they could write up a review.
Those, at the least, completed the story.

It's not uncommon to find reviewers playing an hour and then paraphrase existing reviews.

The difference between a job and a hobby is huge.

Sure!

But then that needs to be stated.

Dr.Grass said:
OdinHades said:

"I also played on hard and still found it to be too easy."

Could've been harder imo, but I don't think it was too easy.

"The story is kinda boring compared to the show"

Wut.

"it's mostly fan service with all kinds of stuff at every corner"

It's a fan's wet dream.

"But all in all, it's short, it lacks in terms of gameplay and I also encountered some bugs (PC version). So compared to other games, I can't possibly give this game a 9/10 even as a big fan of the show. 7/10 is more like it imo. It's not bad, it's really good, but it's also not mind blowing"

You don't sound like a big enough fan O_o

If I'm not fan just because I'm able to criticise things with a South Park Logo on it, then so be it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Dr.Grass said:
the_dengle said:

Yeah. I'm not sure if you can go back up once you go down though.

Well what I want to know is whether you can start a game on normal, then change it to hard four hours in when you realize it's going to stay this easy. Because I can't fault a journalist for choosing "normal" for their review. If "normal" is easy and "hard" is normal, and you're committed to the difficulty level you chose at the start, I don't see why I would blame the reviewer. Sounds like that's the developers' fault to me.