By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo could and should go Mobile

Tagged games:

Nintendo is under a lot of pressure of going mobile; investors and industry analysts both urge the company to go this route. And I agree. Kind of. Hear me out.

Right now the Wii U is bombing world wide, and the 3DS is slumping behind its predecessor, the DS, in sales. Why is this? While a lot can be said about the Wii U, let's ignore that console entirely for this topic. Let's instead focus on the 3DS, which isn't doing as well as the original DS, and a lot of that can be blamed on smart devices (iPhone, iPad and the likes), which is why the pressure is on Nintendo for going mobile.

And I say put certain games on smart devices! Not every game, but a select few. Let's take a look at some sales figures, shall we?

Brain Age for the DS sold 20m+ and 15m+ across two games, while the Brain Age released for 3DS has sold less than 0.5m according to VGC: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=brain+age

Nintendogs for the original DS sold more than 24m, while it's follow up sold 3m+ on 3DS: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=nintendogs

It's quite apparent that these series have lost a lot of sales, so why not put them on smart devices? It's not like those sales would take away sales from the 3DS, since there doesn't seem to be a market for them there any more. And both games would work very well with the smart devices' touch screens. I don't see the harm in releasing these games on other devices.

Other games that could do well is actually Wii Sports; imagine playing baseball on your smart phone, and use the same kind of input as Angry Birds uses. You “grab” the bat with your finger, and pull it back to strike in the same fashion you pull back the birds; you could aim the bat to swing left or right, up or down this way. The same goes for bowling, golfing and other games. Release all games separately with a $1 price tag, as well as a “bundle” with all games for $5 or something.

Another option is releasing a Pokémon Mini Game that works as an extension of a proper Pokémon game, but that could work as a stand alone game as well – just without the depth of a proper Pokémon game. It could work more in the vein of Nintendogs, where you take care of your Pokémons; feeding them, playing with them, and maybe even battling with other people over blue tooth or WiFi. Having a proper Pokémon game you could get a “mobile” code so that you'd get this mini game for free on a smartphone/tablet, while others would have to pay $5-$10 for it. It could be a stand alone game, that ALSO works as an extension to the proper game.

What do you guys think? Is this the way for Nintendo to enter the mobile market? With smaller games that doesn't compete with titles that still sell well (so Mario, Zelda and a proper Pokémon game would be out of the question), that uses touch screens in a good and meaningful way (like writing down numbers in Barin Age, or petting your dog in Nintendogs by swiping the screen).

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Answering OP's question: They make mobile games, and no.

Nintentacle said:
Answering OP's question: They make mobile games, and no.

What games do they do, and why no?

Boy, you opened a can of worms, a can that was clearly marked "worms" and each worm wearing a prideful smile and a mario hat.

lucidium said:
Boy, you opened a can of worms, a can that was clearly marked "worms" and each worm wearing a prideful smile and a mario hat.

I know this won't go down well with some/most Nintendo fans, but I'd love to see the arguments AGAINST my OP... This way mobile sales wouldn't detract from the 3DS, and Nintendo would earn money. Besides, these are games that Nintendo fans mostly don't care that much about (except Pokemon ofc ^^).

And as a Nintendo hater (j/k), what do YOU think if my arguments? Oh btw, I didn't come up with that pokemon idea *hint hint nudge nudge*

Around the Network

The leaked Nintendo Fusion details already provide a likely answer.

Simple, release those games and Super Mario Bros. Charge for jumping a little higher and BAM, there you have it, unlimited money!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

etking said:

I thought that had been debunked? Maybe I remember it wrong.

etking said:

It is fake. It would be their most stupid technical decision ever to try to merge a console and a portable device. There is not a single advantage. They couldn't run the same games because of the massive power difference (not even watered down versions). The leaked specs would make it expensive as hell. If Nintendo did it, and I can assure you they won't, it will be their last gaming device and they will follow Sega's path.

They have to stop trying to create crazy devices nobody wants and do a simple, powerfull, affordable console with good online infrastructure to gather 3rd party support back.

I agree with you, but that is maybe because I am Swedish. Nintendo have a lot of unused IPs, even a lot of garbage that they probably never will get any money for. Dump it all on iOS and android.

Here is a little of my own thoughts:
Put Nintendoland games on the smartphones and let people play with or against each other. Some will think it would look better on a TV screen and they could get $5 to buy a WiiU system.

Nntendo are the masters of mini games (Mario Party series, Wii party series and others) and mikro games (WarioWare and others). Make an app that have an interface that show all of the hundred mini/micro games there are and let people buy trough this interface.

Expand the Animal Crossing Plaza and make the friendliest , happiest social network the world has ever seen. Censor EVERYTHING and encourage people to be kind. Let people create clothes, patterns, furniture, songs and whatnot. and let them sell them to each other for a small fee. Make special festivals (sell Festival items) and have the whole world join in on the party. Make a Disney holiday, a Pepsi moment, a Toyota song festival.

Well maybe not the best ideas but it is better than no ideas at all as nintendo seems to be afraid of the big scary connected world outside the shores of Japan.