By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I think that my PS4 isn't working correctly in standby mode

Tagged games:

Hi everyone,

I leave my PS4 in standby mode almost always, and I have noticed that it is not downloading game updates.  I didn't realize that anything was weird until I turned my PS4 on from being in standby mode for a few days untouched.  I was greeted by updates for AC4, BF4, and KZ:SF all at once, and  I thought to myself "well that is weird, whiy didn't they update while it was in standby"

I did some googling and quite a few other people are reporting this.  From reading other people's responses, I also realized that my PS4 takes a long time to come back from being in standby mode (I see the PS logo, health/safety warnings, and I get signed in every single time)

So my question is, are other people experiencing this?  What happens when you wake up from standby mode?  How long does it take? What do you see?  Are your games being updated?

I ask this because it is really fucking annoying to be greeted by a 1GB/30 minute game update when I wanted to jump right into playing

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

When you wake up from standby it takes the same time as a normal bootup, except when it's in the middle of doing something. So if you start downloading content, turn it off, and turn it on again you'd have the 5 second boot or whatever.

Also check your settings to see if you have everything turned on for standby mode.

JoeTheBro said:
When you wake up from standby it takes the same time as a normal bootup, except when it's in the middle of doing something. So if you start downloading content, turn it off, and turn it on again you'd have the 5 second boot or whatever.

Also check your settings to see if you have everything turned on for standby mode.

I'm pretty sure I have everything turned on:

- Connect to the internet in standby mode is turned on

- Enable turning on PS4 from network is turned on

- Enable automatic downloads and uploads is turned on

Also:

- I have PS+

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

You are not alone. Download and uploads happen when you turn on the PS4. There is no background downloading, uploading OR trophy synching when it is in Standby. This is probably the reason we don't have the suspend/resume feature either.

Gremdude said:

You are not alone. Download and uploads happen when you turn on the PS4. There is no background downloading, uploading OR trophy synching when it is in Standby. This is probably the reason we don't have the suspend/resume feature either.

In the settings under 'Automatic Downloads and Uploads' it says that if you have PS+ it will "download update files for applications" while in standby mode

Are games not applications?  Seems like some sketchy wording if thats the case

Around the Network
Gremdude said:

No stanby works for most users. I haven't heard about any problems with it until now. To really check this, I'd try putting your PS4 in standby. Same goes for op. Then go to the webstore here.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

Find a PS4 game or demo that you don't have on your system. Or use a F2P game. For size reasons I'd just go with the Trine 2 demo. On the game page, you're given the option to download it on your system. Press that button. Almost instantly you should here your PS4 slightly get louder as it starts downloading the game.  Just wait a while either way. When you turn on your PS4, you should have the game fully installed and ready to be played.

JoeTheBro said:
Gremdude said:

No stanby works for most users. I haven't heard about any problems with it until now. To really check this, I'd try putting your PS4 in standby. Same goes for op. Then go to the webstore here.

Find a PS4 game or demo that you don't have on your system. Or use a F2P game. For size reasons I'd just go with the Trine 2 demo. On the game page, you're given the option to download it on your system. Press that button. Almost instantly you should here your PS4 slightly get louder as it starts downloading the game.  Just wait a while either way. When you turn on your PS4, you should have the game fully installed and ready to be played.

That did work but it doesn't change the fact that updates happen when we power on our systems from Standby. I will turn on my PS4 and that is when the save games from my last play session uploads to the cloud also. 

Gremdude said:
JoeTheBro said:
Gremdude said:

That did work but it doesn't change the fact that updates happen when we power on our systems from Standby. I will turn on my PS4 and that is when the save games from my last play session uploads to the cloud also. 

Game updates should be happening in standby. System updates download in standby but still need to be initiated by the user. That's how it's supposed to work.

I'm not sure about PS+ saved game storage though. I haven't heard anything about it having issues but I also haven't heard anything about it working correctly either. I will go out on a limb though and assume it's a local issue (if it's an issue at all) since I haven't seen anything in the next system update about fixing it.

JoeTheBro said:
Gremdude said:

Good idea. I'll set it to download right now and see what the status is in the morning.  I'll update the thread then. 

Works fine for me. Any updates are always already installed when I start the system. Uploads of save games also work just fine in standby. It also works when I click download on my smartphone. I did that with Outlast when it was available. Came home, started the system and it was already there.

Just one time it started a download after turning on the system. That was when I had to install a FW update.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.