By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Former?) Real-life developers talking about the Wii U

Tagged games:

First watch this interview from the Darksiders II developers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3HGOsAlx0

Highlights

Developing for the Wii U "easier than the PS3, on par with the Xbox 360" (X1 and PS4 were not announced when this interview took place FYI)

Porting a game and adding gamepad features "took 3 programmers about 5 weeks." One of whom came during the middle of the development cycle. This was also with an early development kit.

Nintendo is "great to work with".

Gamepad "easiest thing to put stuff on" -- putting the main screen on the gamepad "took about 10 minutes".

EDIT: given that this is old, and THQ is out of business, I updated the title. Anyone know where these individuals work now? What are they developing for now? It'd be interesting to hear more about how'd they'd reflect on the experience now.

How does this (at all) change your perspective of the Wii U?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Doesn't really change my perspective of the Wii U, I can't imagine it's very hard to port a game on it. Especially when we know that for example the game engine Unity is cross-compatible with it, I mean it's cross-compatible with 360, Wii, PS3, PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and so on...

I guess the Wii U is fun to work with.

Yep.

It's a really old interview.

SDKs and whatnot have been updated that make porting even simpler.

This interview is more than 2 years old. Devs moved on from Wii U, find me a recent one of a 3rd party that is as excited.

Other developers seem to disagree. But it's really too old. It doesn't matter anymore how good it can port things from last gen. We need comparisons from this gen.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Old interview and the guy showed is face. That means that his job must not be too important. Call me when it's an anonymous source or a rumor in Neogaf.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Boring, I like to listen to fake developers talking about the Wii U.

Turkish said:
This interview is more than 2 years old. Devs moved on from Wii U, find me a recent one of a 3rd party that is as excited.

Andy Tudor -- Project CARS

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I think most people will have seen this already. It's pretty old and from what I've heard (I haven't played the WiiU version so I can't be certain), the results aren't anything special.

fleischr said:

First watch this interview from the Darksiders II developers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3HGOsAlx0

Highlights

Developing for the Wii U "easier than the PS3, on par with the Xbox 360" (X1 and PS4 were not announced when this interview took place FYI)

Porting a game and adding gamepad features "took 3 programmers about 5 weeks." One of whom came during the middle of the development cycle. This was also with an early development kit.

Nintendo is "great to work with".

Gamepad "easiest thing to put stuff on" -- putting the main screen on the gamepad "took about 10 minutes".

How does this (at all) change your perspective of the Wii U?

Dayum... Was the Wii U that good? xD