By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIV is Square Enix Financial Saviour.

Tagged games:

Square Enix Financials Cast Final Fantasy 14 as Saviour

Returned to profit at last.

Lock if already posted.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/05/square-enix-financials-cast-final-fantasy-14-as-saviour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofHDk58Mibo

Square Enix has managed to return to profit, thanks largely to the strong performance of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

The company has just released its financial report for the nine month period ending December 31, 2013, which reveals a rather impressive turnaround.

Compared with the period last year, whilst sales remained flat at 102.5bn yen this year compared to 102.8 bn yen last year, net income shifted drastically from a loss of 5.7bn yen in 2012 to a profit of 5.2bn yen in 2013. Operating income also moved from a loss of 4.9bn yen to a profit of 7.8bn yen. It paints a pretty stark contrast with the company's "extraordinary loss" from last year, and Square Enix is now predicting profits of up to 6bn yen by the end of financial year on March 31, 2014.

In terms of who to thank for this change in fortune, Square Enix suggests it's the relaunched MMO Final Fantasy XIV, which topped 1.5 million registered accounts upon its relaunch last year, better than the company expected. With the game still due to launch on PS4 in April and a beta test is scheduled to begin on February 22, this title could get a healthy financial pump to profits at the start of the next financial year. Square Enix has previously announced that anyone who purchases the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV will also be able to upgrade to the PS4 version absolutely free.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Well, as much as i hate the long global cooldown and some of the grind, it is a good game. Its seeing big sized patches every 3-4 months and its been having alot of in-game events.

I actually bought the PS3 version on discount last night for some bed grinding (already had the PC version). It brought and extra 30 days sub and i will be able to upgrade it to the PS4 version for free when i get one.

With that said, the billing service is terrible. I just couldnt sub to it. Had to buy a game card. Apparantly they have an incompetent 3rd party company taking care of it and cant do anything.

Also, on the other side, this is a great message to their MMO competitiors. Its possible to turn a failure around, if you commit yourself to it. I'm looking at SWTOR, GW2 and ESO. If you go through the trouble of making a good game that your fans are pleased with, instead of just delivering wannabe WoW turds.

Nem said:

Well, as much as i hate the long global cooldown and some of the grind, it is a good game. Its seeing big sized patches every 3-4 months and its been having alot of in-game events.

I actually bought the PS3 version on discount last night for some bed grinding (already had the PC version). It brought and extra 30 days sub and i will be able to upgrade it to the PS4 version for free when i get one.

With that said, the billing service is terrible. I just couldnt sub to it. Had to buy a game card. Apparantly they have an incompetent 3rd party company taking care of it and cant do anything.

Also, on the other side, this is a great message to their MMO competitiors. Its possible to turn a failure around, if you commit yourself to it. I'm looking at SWTOR, GW2 and ESO. If you go through the trouble of making a good game that your fans are pleased with, instead of just delivering wannabe WoW turds.

GW2 is an awesome game with tons of content and in-game events! :(

Wright said:
Nem said:

GW2 is an awesome game with tons of content and in-game events! :(

Sorry, as a GW1 fan i was terribly disappointed by it. I am hoping Anet announce GW3 soon or an expansion that changes things with the combat system. The game just wasnt fun at all for me.

But the game has been falling quite a bit in terms of population. I look at Xfire numbers from time to time and what was a respectable number 2 behind WoW droped ungracefully down the top 10. Apparantly revenues for it have been quite bad aswell cause of the business model (they only got shop revenues).

I never understood why they abandoned the business model of GW1. It was perfect.

It's a shame I still consider it the worst mainline game in the series. Generic clone.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Nem said:

I've not had any problems subscribing through the website, it's all be fine and dandy for me without any issues or anything, lol.

Theres a thread on the forums with dozens of pages because of it.

Kinda ironic that FF XIV was the one that screwed Squenix and them Realm Reborn is the one to save them hehe. It is a pretty good game, Ive played it quite a bit and will play more once the PS4 version comes out.

Repost. -> http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=177792&page=1#

Edit: This thread is still good for the video and new article. I like FF14 too.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

hahahaha in ya face haters.

In a more serious note. I believe FFXIV will be Square Enix most successful game in terms of profit for a very long time.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Hmmm, i don't know if i jump on FFXIV or wait for ESO/WildStar.
People playing on PS3 are liking it? I find the idea of a MMO on a console a little odd.

Anyway i am happy to see this, square needed it