By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does nintendo get all the love?!? Let's dissect Vita's failures!

Why should wiiU be the only one to have it's failures discussed to no end!?!  Vita is failing just as hard!  Let's discuss why sony did wrong and, assuming sony can afford to launch another console, how to make the next playstation portable a success!

A) Gaemes.

undoubtedly the number 1 probably.   it's not that vita doesn't have any games, rather it has few true system seller.  To me this is because sony has, since almost day 1, treated the vita a red-headed step child.   LBP wasn't developed by MM.  Uncharted wasn't developed by naught god.  santa monica didn't make anything.  sucker punch didn't make anything.  killzone was developed by GG's "B" team.  instead of using any top teir talent vita was sent out to live or die on the shoulders of japan studios, fun bits entertainment, and tarsier.    ...not exactly a list of all-stars.   with that kind of investment into the platform it's really no wonder no one wants it.

B) Franchises.

stop fucking porting console games to handhelds?!?!?   killzone, little big planent, assassin's creed, uncharted, call of duty, sly cooper.   these are like poison to a new handheld.   these franchises have amazing games on console that, no matter how good the handheld game is, will never compare to it's console entry.   soul sacrifice and gravity rush, this is how you do it.  good games, "console" quality... but without all the bullshit comparisions that will make every review end in "..while good on it's own merit it just feels like a disappointment compared to previous entries in the franchise.  5/10."

C) Make it capabile of making phone calls alla iphone/itouch

Yes, superchunk was right.  a unitasker like the vita doesn't have a place in the mass market's pocket any more than a home console that can't access netflix.  unitaskers are dated and worth less.  yes, there should be a model that doesn't require a phone plan (the itouch model) but the connected version needs to do all the things we've come to expect from a connected device: make call, be an mp3 player, GPS, access a robust app store, ect.    Hell, if all sony did was release a phone that did phone things + psnow access it would probably do better than the vita.  if it could access android's game store there would be far more games to play anyways.  PSN could be a whole seperate thing and even if not many psn specific games got released at least my hardward ware wouldn't be useless in the droughts.

D) Hardware/Input controls

You nailed it sony, don't change a thing.  For the record, i'm not proofing my words so don't complain my sentances and arguments don't make sense.  why should i when you're only going to read the bullets anyways?  yeah, that right, i know none of you will get all the way to this sentence.  Not that i'm judging you, i wouldn't of read all this shit either.

edit: More good points.

Figgycal said:

E) Price:

Who's idea was it to launch it a $250 with no games or a memory card included. Also why make the memory cards too expensive for anyone to afford if you want people to buy games digitally?

Around the Network

Price: Who's idea was it to launch it a $250 with no games or a memory card included. Also why make the memory cards too expensive for anyone to afford if you want people to buy games digitally?

But they got sooooo much right with the Vita. The best account system I've used - purchases from PSP console carried over for free. PS Plus is a great service. I rarely have to buy games at full price or at all because of it. Great indie games.... I can't wait till I get another Vita so I can play Spelunky anywhere. A ton of great JRPG's. 

It's easy to rag on Nintendo since they made a lot of mistakes with the Wii U. The Vita got a lot of things right; more than they got wrong.

kitler53 said:

D) Hardware/Input controls

You nailed it sony, don't change a thing.  For the record, i'm not proofing my words so don't complain my sentances and arguments don't make sense.  why should i when you're only going to read the bullets anyways?  yeah, that right, i know none of you will get all the way to this sentence.  Not that i'm judging you, i wouldn't of read all this shit either.

Well, that part was Cerny's job after all.

So I finished reading after the first paragraph because there won't be another PlayStation portable console.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
So I finished reading after the first paragraph because there won't be another PlayStation portable console.

you could skip to C).   that make still be relavant to you.

Around the Network

i can easily see these 2 become huge successes if managed correctly.

that's the key though, managed correctly. i can totally see Nintendo releasing something like this:

Figgycal said:

Price: Who's idea was it to launch it a $250 with no games or a memory card included. Also why make the memory cards too expensive for anyone to afford if you want people to buy games digitally?

But they got sooooo much right with the Vita. The best account system I've used - purchases from PSP console carried over for free. PS Plus is a great service. I rarely have to buy games at full price or at all because of it. Great indie games.... I can't wait till I get another Vita so I can play Spelunky anywhere. A ton of great JRPG's. 

It's easy to rag on Nintendo since they made a lot of mistakes with the Wii U. The Vita got a lot of things right; more than they got wrong.

omg,.. how could i forget the price of memory cards!?   probably because i'm rich.   ..but yes, a better price is needed even if it is just a disguised price like how i "think" iphone cost $200 even though i'm really paying like $800 for it after contract. 

kitler53 said:
eFKac said:

you could skip to C).   that make still be relavant to you.

I joked, I read it all, I was just expecting purely Vita bashing thread, not how to turn around the faults it has. And I seriously think, damn I'm pretty sure that Vita ends the line of Sony handhelds, so doesn't really matter.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

kitler53 said:
Figgycal said:

omg,.. how could i forget the price of memory cards!?   probably because i'm rich.   ..but yes, a better price is needed even if it is just a disguised price like how i "think" iphone cost $200 even though i'm really paying like $800 for it after contract. 

:O It's better to pay more up front for an Iphone and then like 50 bucks a month with a company like Boost or Virgin mobile than it is to be in a contract.... You're getting ripped off.

MohammadBadir said:

i can easily see these 2 become huge successes if managed correctly.

that's the key though, managed correctly. i can totally see Nintendo releasing something like this:

oh my, that last pic just about killed me!

but yes, i think nintendo probably also needs to join the mobile space.   not just smartphones,...  smartphones+.   everything you'd expect from a phone plus a competent gaming centric platform for games that don't suck.