By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Achilles heel?

Tagged games:

We all know that Nintendo is known to release high quality, polished games at least according to general opinion (Right?). So why are fans not interested in the company releasing just one (not many) new IP with realistic visuals and a mature story (whatever that is :P). Since the company is known to provide high quality games, why do fans dislike the idea of Nintendo creating a new IP with these qualities.  Cell shaded/Cartoonish Art style is good and I love them but just one game with realistic graphics made by Nintendo on the Wii U would be great in my opinion for the company. It doesn't have to be bloody and whatnot, just realistic, with a compeling story.

It could be TPS, FPS or anything? Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story would be a great change/surprise for the Wii U. What do you guys think?  

Do you think they are scared to try this or it just doesn't fit well with the company's philosophy? and if you prefer artistic games, would it hurt to enjoy a realistic Nintendo developed game once in a while?

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Around the Network

Their achilles heel is basically their old fashioned, stubborn Japanese management.

The studios are great, the games are great, they are held back by a management group that moves as slow as the Titanic.

If Nintendo had a great Western division to help out the Japanese side, they would be doing fine right now but they don't unfortunately. Even though Rare wasn't perfect, they were a very good sidekick that could fill in for Nintendo with a good number of games for example and Nintendo has never really replaced that lost output.

Soundwave said:
Their achilles heel is basically their old fashioned, stubborn Japanese management.

The studios are great, the games are great, they are held back by a management group that moves as slow as the Titanic.

If Nintendo had a great Western division to help out the Japanese side, they would be doing fine right now but they don't unfortunately. Even though Rare wasn't perfect, they were a very good sidekick that could fill in for Nintendo with a good number of games for example and Nintendo has never really replaced that lost output.

Do they have any western studio developing games currently? or the developers are only in Japan?

Smartest nam evila

Do they have the hardware for that? Cartooni art style is easier to do. On realism they would get hammerd hard in comparison the ps4 or x1 quality.

But if they did that then they wouldnt get easy 10/10's for presentation anymore because realistic games are more prone to bugs and glitches.

Around the Network

I think the issue is the centralised Japanese management.

I think NOA and NOE should have a lot more autonomy in their decision making, and also have their own studios/ the ability to fund games themselves.

I would like to see a more realistic IP from Nintendo. Although it should be pointed out that Metroid, Fatal Frame, Zelda, F Zero, Wave Race, and Excite Bike/Truck already fit this bill.

Personally I'd like to see an FPS along the lines of Borderlands/Bulletstorm from Nintendo (I'd even go so far as to suggest they buy the Bulletstorm IP from Epic). They're both quality FPSs that have a different feel to them than your standard brown military shooters and have that Nintendo, 'gameplay is king', mentality to them.

Especially Bulletstorm, that game was FUN.

BeElite said:
Do they have the hardware for that? Cartooni art style is easier to do. On realism they would get hammerd hard in comparison the ps4 or x1 quality.

So they want to keep enjoying their comfort zone. ok

But realistic games looked good on the ps3 and the wii u is more powerful. With innovative thinking, I think they can make a game look good, especially with clever use of small environments.

I think they are not willing to take risks, that's the problem.

Smartest nam evila

fps_d0minat0r said:
But if they did that then they wouldnt get easy 10/10's for presentation anymore because realistic games are more prone to bugs and glitches.

lol. But the company is known to release polished games. so they should be able to release one with a few bugs.

Smartest nam evila

ToxicJosh said:
I think the issue is the centralised Japanese management.

I think NOA and NOE should have a lot more autonomy in their decision making, and also have their own studios/ the ability to fund games themselves.

I would like to see a more realistic IP from Nintendo. Although it should be pointed out that Metroid, Fatal Frame, Zelda, F Zero, Wave Race, and Excite Bike/Truck already fit this bill.

Personally I'd like to see an FPS along the lines of Borderlands/Bulletstorm from Nintendo (I'd even go so far as to suggest they buy the Bulletstorm IP from Epic). They're both quality FPSs that have a different feel to them than your standard brown military shooters and have that Nintendo, 'gameplay is king', mentality to them.

Especially Bulletstorm, that game was FUN.

Now this is a good point. Fans act like all fps or tps are bad games.

Smartest nam evila

Soundwave said:

stubborn indeed  during 3DS and Wii U they thought the third party ports would sustain the Wii U sales whilst they get their shit together with their own games. Oh how wrong they were. 

Hopefully next gn they realise they need a big IP at launch and a western Nintendo IP at launch would also be good. I agree RARE wasn't perfect but the IPs they worked on were iconic that everyone loved to play.