By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction:The future is handheld gaming, consoles will die this gen.

Tagged games:

Would you buy a console for third party games if you could play them all on your handheld? The future of cloud gaming will let us play games on high-end systems on low-end phones or other handheld devices.

But iPhone and Handhelds doesn't have buttons/controls.

IOS 7 let's us use controllers today with no problems and systems like 3ds could simply add second stick.The controllers cost like 20 dollars.

But I want to play on my tv or moniter.

You can buy a hdmi cord for many iPhones and iPads today. 

Why would I want to have a seperate system to do one thing when I could a system do everything? Cloud gaming could actual make iPhones more powerful than consoles.I feel like consoles are horses of the mailman history. It's outdated and a practice that needs to die for we can truly evolve. Do you disagree?

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
PS4 says hello.

As does wii u...

If you read what I said you will see how this year is irrelevant. When cloud gaming comes in 2-3 years than there will be no reason for home consoles.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Lol joke thread? console gaming is the new Nintendo, doomed since 2009 or when ever onlive was annouced for the first time

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Cloud gaming would always have a delay at the speed of light and the chance that you will lose all your games when service ends. There has also been no evidence that people are developing cloud gaming with more or equal power as current generation consoles.

1. though cloud is convenient for maintaining files, data, downloads, etc., people like owning physical stuff.
2. all 8th gen consoles can utilize the cloud right now (though Nintendo doesn't want to, as the technology isn't up to their standards, ie. still has latency issues)
3. it could be very possible that all 9th generation console will be handheld with HDTV connectivity, as you mentioned (another hint toward that would again be Nintendo: their handheld and home console hardware devs are now united as one group in their new Kyoto building)

and that's all I have to say about that.

*teleports*

Around the Network

I don't expect Cloud Gaming to become popular until a very very long time (like even 10 years or so). Good internet speeds are still something rare, and it will take a while until companies can ignore those who have low internet speeds.

Also, if you want play games on the go that would mean you either need Wifi or 4G. Is basically impossible to game online with 3G and 4G (at least in my country) is very expensive. 

So your prediction (if it becomes true) is not something I expect to see in like 10 years or even more.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Sony handhelds are dead... I doubt they will make another one after the Vita

Nintendo handhelds are not... Whether or not ur right, Nintendo will make at least one more regardless... Consoles... I don't think so either... Nintendo, Sony and MS will probably make more after this one regardless... The issue with cloud is that you need internet... The issue with people needing internet is that ISPs are jerks

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

First you need the AAA 3rd parties on board. If there's no content no one will do it. Also a lot of gaming's finest properties are exclusive to console manufacturers so I can't really see gamers abandoning the platforms where their favorite games are.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

ninetailschris said:
spurgeonryan said:
PS4 says hello.

As does wii u...

If you read what I said you will see how this year is irrelevant. When cloud gaming comes in 2-3 years than there will be no reason for home consoles.

After the reaction Microsoft got at E3, which isn't even as bad as cloud, what makes u think people are gonna accept cloud in 2-3 years?

vivster said:
First you need the AAA 3rd parties on board. If there's no content no one will do it. Also a lot of gaming's finest properties are exclusive to console manufacturers so I can't really see gamers abandoning the platforms where their favorite games are.

More people but third party games on Sony/mircosoft than there actual games. If they had no third party they would have half the install base. Square is starting to build a cloud system on IPhone market. Just for gaming in specific. Many tommorrow I will post some other companies talking about moving there games on iPhone products.