By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other Wii U developers respond to the anonymous dev article thrashing the console

Tagged games:

Harder to Develop Games on the Wii U? Not the Case Says Renegade Kid.

Recently a popular website released an article that was from an “anonymous Third Party developer” which chronicled the “struggle” of developing games for the Wii U. From basic programming to online structure to dealing with Nintendo, the article took place during the launch window of the system. The article then concludes that is why Third Party companies tend to shy away from the Wii U. Curious, I decided to Tweet my friend Jools Watsham over at Renegade Kid to see his stance on this, since the anonymity would be null and void. I received back the following exclusive information.

Hopefully this will help shed some light on the situation when one of the biggest indie developers on Nintendo platforms disagrees with the recent article that is circulating the internet.

UPDATE:

I had the owner of a new Wii U indie company, Nami Tentou, reach out to me to respond to this situation. Nami Tentou is a licensed Wii U developer. They had the following to say, which strengthens the case of the situation.

Source: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/harder-develop-games-wii-u-case-says-renegade-kid/

Around the Network

More 3rd Party Wii U Developers Speak Out

Bertil Hörberg of Gunman Clive fame, Christopher Arnold of Nami Tentou, and Jools Watsham of Renegade Kid have chimed in further on the difficulty of making games on Wii U, after an article about early Wii U development sparked earlier reactions.

Bertil’s comment may have been missed by most when it 1st came out, but having verified it directly, let me share the details. Bertil says he wasn’t there at launch, but having recently committed to making a game on the system, he vouches that setting up the developer environment and getting the code working is now a straightforward process.

Chris Arnold was even more vociferous, outright calling said article clickbait to get the Nintendoom wheel running again. He also testifies that the SDK kit developers have been receiving after the system’s release do not contain any of the listed problems, and Nintendo has made the effort to make the system’s API understandable and useful to developers. Furthermore, he points out that none of these issues are endemic to Wii U, as programming has always been a case of time trial-and-error.

Lastly, Jools continued to floor questions regarding the subject, pointing out (to a fellow developer) that Renegade Kid has now ported Mutant Mudds to Wii U, 3DS, Vita, iOS, PSN and Steam, and they did not find development any more difficult on Wii U than on other platforms.

Source: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/3rd-party-wii-u-developers-speak/

Anti Nintendo Conspiracy confirmed :D

When you think my english is bad...sorry for my bad english,    i'm from Germany. And yeees, sorry, that we've almost destroyed the whole world, blahblahblah

burninmylight said:

Bertil Hörberg of Gunman Clive fame, Christopher Arnold of Nami Tentou, and Jools Watsham of Renegade Kid have chimed in further on the difficulty of making games on Wii U, after an article about early Wii U development sparked earlier reactions.

Bertil’s comment may have been missed by most when it 1st came out, but having verified it directly, let me share the details. Bertil says he wasn’t there at launch, but having recently committed to making a game on the system, he vouches that setting up the developer environment and getting the code working is now a straightforward process.

Chris Arnold was even more vociferous, outright calling said article clickbait to get the Nintendoom wheel running again. He also testifies that the SDK kit developers have been receiving after the system’s release do not contain any of the listed problems, and Nintendo has made the effort to make the system’s API understandable and useful to developers. Furthermore, he points out that none of these issues are endemic to Wii U, as programming has always been a case of time trial-and-error.

Lastly, Jools continued to floor questions regarding the subject, pointing out (to a fellow developer) that Renegade Kid has now ported Mutant Mudds to Wii U, 3DS, Vita, iOS, PSN and Steam, and they did not find development any more difficult on Wii U than on other platforms.

It's most likely true that developing and porting 16bits quality titles mustn't be very difficult. ¬_¬

ignores this and goes back to the other article that says WiiU is no graphics

I like anonymous cus they tell the truth and it suits my agenda!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

I will just leave this here as well... This whole thing is just a stupid big clickbait mess.. I dont understand Eurogamer, why would you give Super Mario 3d World GOTY and then make an article like this? Like wtf

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The dev from Nami Tentou said what those of us who recall events from 2012 thought: the anonymous dev must have had an an early dev kit. Yet it becomes a story because it gets clicks galore.

I'd also like to point out that the story about the anonymous dev originally came from Eurogamer: the same site that twisted around the words of the dev from Sega Sammy to make it sound like he said the Wii U is no more capable than the PS3 and 360, when the dev was in fact saying the Wii U port of Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing would be no different than the others.

and this is fake, as a mature and hardocore gamer I only believe in people that tell me Nintendo is doomed

Click HERE and be happy 

Hynad said:
burninmylight said:

It's most likely true that developing and porting 16bits quality titles mustn't be very difficult. ¬_¬

Mutant Mudds is 8-bit. ;)

and one more thing: only anonymous sources are valid.

Click HERE and be happy