By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us Winning Game of the Year is Disappointing (To Me Atleast)

Tagged games:

The Last of Us is a great game, definetly one of the better ones this year, but there isn't much in it that we haven't seen before. It's a third person survival horror game, and it's a pretty basic one at that. However, because it has a god like story, it's suddenly 10x better than all the competition. The gameplay can be summed up as "ladder, plank, raft." The AI is also poor, but I will say that the online is extremely fun.

People seem to get mad when I say my games of the year are Super Mario 3D World, GTA V, and A Link Between Worlds. But these games made me immersed, they made me feel a sense of wonder, and I was always wanting to find out what the next area I went to had in store for me. With The Last of Us, it felt like I was just playing the levels to get to the next story segment, not for the actual level.

To me, The Last of Us is just another good shooter, with a great story.

Around the Network

I like the last of us for the reasons you listed for the other games. I've never felt immersions like the last of us before.

The thing is the story was amazing, something that I think pushes gaming forward, and that is what game of the year is about. Also the gameplay while not being revolutionary was excellent executed

I just hated the fact that it was another zombie game... Like, couldn't they think of anything else for the enemies? The Story obviously carried it and it is an amazing game but just urghh

Edit: Sorry Infected* since the difference is sooooooo (sarcasm) much :/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Can't say you will get a lot of love for this post. But if it makes you feel better I also think TLOU isn't GOTY, not by a long shot.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

No offence, but judging by your previous posts, pic, and sig you might be a bit Nintendo-biased...

If you don't like a game, that's cool. But IMO, the greatest strength of TLoU is indeed the immersion factor. The way it places you into it's universe; which you somehow think is a weakness of the game.

GTA5 was great, but expected and familiar. SM3DW was also great, but there really isn't a story there and the gameplay can be found in 3D land on the 3DS (although obviously not as big). Have not placed Link Between Worlds, so I can't really be unbiased with that... But it's a remake of an 80's game that was very popular; so might have some biased fans who are factoring in the nostolgia effect.

Just my opinion, but TLoU is not only the best of 2013 (although not easily), but one of the best games of all time. It made me cry. I've never cried before playing a game. That's crazy.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I just hated the fact that it was another zombie game... Like, couldn't they think of anything else for the enemies? The Story obviously carried it and it is an amazing game but just urghh

They're not zombies, they're infected ;)

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Good thing it wasn't just another zombie game as there's no zombies in it. 

ps3-sales! said:

GTA5 was great, but expected and familiar. SM3DW was also great, but there really isn't a story there and the gameplay can be found in 3D land on the 3DS (although obviously not as big). Have not placed Link Between Worlds, so I can't really be unbiased with that... But it's a remake of an 80's game that was very popular; so might have some biased fans who are factoring in the nostolgia effect.

A Link Between Worlds is not a remake of A Link to the Past! It's actually a new game on the same world. Even the dungeons are different. It's really familiar though but it's not a remake!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I loved the story, characters, and the atmosphere, but the gameplay is what put it over the top for me. It felt like the perfect survival horror experience, I strongly urge anyone to play the game through on Survivor difficulty. It truly makes you feel like you're a part of a zombie apocalypse. You have to make every single shot count, avoid as many encounters as possible, and either bottle or the brick becomes an invaluable tool.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!