By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Happy Birthday, Resident Evil 4!!

Tagged games:

Nine years ago today, Resident Evil 4 launched in North America on Nintendo Gamecube.

Do you guys and gals have any fond memories of RE4? Did you play it on GCN, PS2, Wii, or another platform? How does it compare, in your eyes, to other games in the series?

Around the Network

I remember reading a review in the back of Nintendo Power absolutely gushing about the game. I think that was my first exposure to the title. Soon after I had a copy in my hands and was ready to play

I played the RE games in a strange order, so by the time I played 4 the only other RE game on my resume was Resident Evil 2 (I played the REmake, 0, 3, and Code: Veronica later). But it worked out, since I knew a lot of the back story and many of the characters.

RE4 blew me away. Technically, it was a knockout. The graphics, sound design, character models, and cinematics were all outstanding. Mechanically, it was nearly flawless. The shooting mechanics were precise and the much-improved camera allowed greater freedom of movement and a wider field of vision. And you'd need it, surrounded as you were by all sorts of deranged and terrifying creatures.

Most of all, I was impressed by the melting pot of genres that RE4 represented. Part shooter, part horror game, part adventure, Resident Evil 4 combined several different elements to make a game that transcended the typical boundaries of survival-horror. Was it as scary and as cerebral as earlier games in the series? No. But was it a better overall game? I'd argue yes.

You said it Veknoid! Resident Evil 4 was a very influential title at it's time. It's one of my favourite Resident Evil games. I still prefer the older ones a little bit more but Resident Evil 4 is pure awesome.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Resident Evil 4 was so awesome that it inspired games like Gears of War, Dead Space, Grand Theft Auto  and many others..  The best RE game ever made.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

RE4 was the first "mature" game that I bought, my classmates (Sony fans) were gushing over how this game was a GC exclusive back then so I had to see what it was all about.

Around the Network

I played it recently at a friends house. It didn't age that well, the controls felt weird, but it's still an amazing game.

The best Resident Evil ever made. It dropped auto-aim, the test run gameplay and changed the camera so you couldn't accidentally bump into enemies anymore.

Sure, it has some weird things like being able to dodge a rocket by jumping over some junk, but that's fun (and useful) to do on purpose.

It was one of my first Wii games. IMO it was great if not perfect mix between genres. It had it's pure-survival moments, and it had it's pure-epic moments. I remember the regenerator actually scaring the hell out of me to the point I even had a few nightmares about it, and I don't usually get scared by games nor movies besides the jump-scare factor.

It's just one of those games that deserve to go down in history.

It's in my backlog on my 360. I haven't gotten around to playing it much yet. I did enjoy RE5, RE6,and Revelations.

I played it on Gamecube at my friend's house and we got our butts scared off by the first chainsaw encounter. The first time I played through it all the way was on Wii some years later. One of the best games of all time. I thought it was still legitimately scary despite what people say. I remember when there was a lightning storm outside the church and every time the lightning flashed I would get a glimpse of dogs and that part scared the shit out of me!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers