By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Dark Souls II will sell great?

Tagged games:

Just wondering. We're hitting 2014, people is dying for next-gen consoles (on which I'll include WiiU as well), and the overall consensus is that people want to move on with their console and just keep playing with the Ps4, the Xbox One and the WiiU (Yeah).

So, I'm thinking, how will Dark Souls II compete in such circumstances?

Look, I know people from here will purchase it. I'll purchase it. We're people who enjoy playing with our "last-gen" console because we know that console is a beast. Wii is still getting support from third party, the 360 is getting from time to time a first and third party support and Ps3 has still great exclusive games to come for it. We don't have the need to get rid of the console.
But this isn't how consumers work, in general.

Considering how niche the game is, (though it has sold far better than most RPGs made in Japan) and even with a broad audience this time (Demon's Souls is Ps3 exclusive, Dark Souls released on 360 and later ported to PC, and DS II will be day one on Ps3, 360 and PC), I can't picture it selling better than Dark Souls. Now, I'm positively sure it will move good numbers on Ps3. PC I don't know, (they kinda got screwed with DS pre-patch) and 360's fanbase can be a bit random sometimes, so it might move great numbers (Dark Souls 360 moved enough numbers to justify the multiplatform release), or it might flop hard there.

I'm just wondering. Is there hope for this franchise? I read before that no DLC is planned for this new game because the game will be 100% completed by the time it releases. They said the same with DS and they did later release a DLC - but far from the crap that DLC is today, they gave out to players one of the best DLC's of the seventh generation, Artorias of the Abyss. - From Software is a dev that should be supported, even if their games are not for a big audience.

I'm hoping the best, but ready for the worst here. I know I'll be picking up a copy.

Around the Network

Nope.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Hope so, probably the game ive been most looking forward to for a long time. So looking forward to i even pre ordered the special edition with the Figurine. Yes i don't care if the special edition stuff is all tat like every other special edition in the world, im buying it because i want to support this developer.

Yeah. The fanbase is pretty hardcore, most of them will stick around. I want a next gen port though.

The fanbase is pretty rabid, so it will do at least the same numbers that its predecessor did. With the engione already ready, its probably cheaper or costs the same to produce.

Never the less, the first entry in the current gen will probably have greater sales.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Soriku said:

There's a large fanbase and they should be sticking around. I don't know if it'll sell as much as or more than the first game but it should do fine.

What range of sales do you expect? Because I was glad the Dark Souls Ps3 version made the same amount of sales of Demon's Souls, and that the 360 version made it around 800.000 units, but I can't picture those numbers again for this game. I wish, of course.

ninetailschris said:
Nope.

Very indepth answer.

OT: I'm sure it will do fine, it doesn't have a massive audience that's going to be hurt by the console transition. It's a niche product and only requires 2 million or so in sales.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

It will sell less than dark souls, but will easily break 1.5 million copies within 3 month of release :) I will get mine on PC day one.

And anyone who plays dark souls is a friend in my book! Love you Wright.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

you don't really buy these games unless you love them and it's very hard not to love DS. don't think anyone is expecting big numbers, but like poster above 1.5m seems about right which is good for this niche.

i think it will do really poor if they don't port it to ps4/xbone.

dark souls = a very hardcore game.

hardcore gamers = the most likely to be early adopters (ps4).

...listen, i'm a huuuge demon/dark souls fan. HUGE. but by march i'll have a ps4. by march i'll have a ps4 backlog 5-6 games deep with several more just around the corner. i'll play a next gen port of DS2 (even a late one) but i don't think i'll be turning my ps3 on anymore by march.