By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry vs. Trine 2 on PlayStation 4 (1080p60, stereo 3D, potentially even 4K)

Tagged games:

Sumary

• Native 1080p60fps
  • Internally at an effective 1080p120 for stereo 3D
  • Can hit 4k at 30fps (if Sony ever unlock the output of the PS4 to support ultra-HD resolution)
  • DualShock 4's touch pad integration
  • FXAA with surprisingly clean images almost completely free of jaggies (almost matching PC with FXAA and 4x super-sampling)
  • PS4 version runs smooths

Trine 2: The Complete Story on PS4 - the Digital Foundry verdict

We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Frozenbyte's beautiful puzzle-based platformer when it appeared late last year on the Wii U, with the interesting physics-based gameplay mechanics and impressive rendering technology making it easy to become immersed in the vibrant and colourful world on display. However, with PS4, Frozenbyte has handed in the definitive console version of the game, with native 1080p visuals, 3D support and slick 60fps gameplay that is rarely achieved in the console space.

Sure, on a technical level this can be matched or even exceeded on the PC. But short of rendering in 4K resolution at 60fps, the differences are hardly mind-blowing - we're looking at a similarly impressive visual presentation in all areas bar raw image quality, backed up with the same smooth and responsive 60fps gameplay that just isn't possible on last-gen systems. Taken as a whole, the PS4 game is hard to beat.

Going forward, it's likely that we'll see the indie community play a greater role in defining the next generation of games, with interesting ideas and experimental gameplay enhanced by the extra power in tap in both Sony and Microsoft's fledgling consoles. With titles such as Hyper Light Drifter, Galak-Z: The Dimensional and Transistor on the horizon there's plenty of enticing content coming up away from the bombastic megabucks franchises that have dominated the PS4 and Xbox One launches. Trine 2 demonstrates that even without a colossal budget, indie games can still compete effectively on a technical level.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-trine-2-on-ps4

Meh game with the ultra-superior version only on PS4 on the console world.

Around the Network

Except that the ultra-superior version is the PC one.

Anyway, quite surprised with that outcome. I personally can barely believe this could run at 1080p and 120FPS, even less at 4K and managing 30FPS. That's what Sony promised us back when PS3 released, and it has finally come to fruition on the PS4.

Wait?!?!
You mean to tell me a 2 year old game can run smoothly on brand new gaming hardware?

We better get the press on this!

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

RazorDragon said:

Except that the ultra-superior version is the PC one.

Anyway, quite surprised with that outcome. I personally can barely believe this could run at 1080p and 120FPS, even less at 4K and managing 30FPS. That's what Sony promised us back when PS3 released, and it has finally come to fruition on the PS4.

Fixed

"on the console world"

Some interesting...

"However, according to Frozenbyte this is a limitation of the current PS4 firmware and not the actual game engine."

So the dev said if Sony release a firmware to enable 4k output the game will already render in 4k at 30fps.

Around the Network

the game looks amazing in 3d.

I remember playing this game on the WiiU and getting bored, really fast. :/

Wow the King is truly the superior console gaming machine. Absolutely amazing.

Wright said:

I remember playing this game on the WiiU and getting bored, really fast. :/

It is... the first one is way better.

I played the demo on Wii U, and it was a little boring, yes.

But the worst thing was the really lousy slow controls, felt just like LittleBigPlanet. I can imagine it would control and feel much better in 60 fps, this is a case where fps matter a lot. ;)

Yep.