By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony just trolling Gran Turismo 6?

Tagged games:

• It's released just several days AFTER the PS4, on the old console
  • It's not a PS4 launch title, not even a cross-gen title, despite just being more of the same, it only releases for PS3
  • Shortly before release some Polyphony guy says that GT7 could be released next year on Ps4
  • On top of that, they give away Grid 2 this month on PS+ (in EU, not sure about US), which could be enough for people who want a racing game if they don't mind if it's more arcady than GT.

You actually could think that Sony is trying to avoid at all costs that people are interested in Gran Turismo (which they've already achieved, see UK first week sales).

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network

Actually, I thought that givind GRID2 was weird and could hurt GT6 sales, maybe they did to hurt Forza 5, or maybe they just don´t care.
I really believe that this GT will sell less than the previous, probably around 5 million lifetime. However, maybe the ground work was done and they figured that if the title sell 3-5 million profit could be achieved.
Who knows? Cool game though.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

yeah, I just don't know what Sony was thinking with GT6; just imagine if it was a launch PS4 game(not just a port, but a game customed to the PS4) That game alone could've carried EU. the release date was just horrible for it as it was swallowed by the hype/demand for the PS4

maybe there is some kinda deal going on with the car manufactures with 2 games each gen..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

PS4 doesn't need more games, the console is already selling itself just fine. On PS3 the development cost was quite low, it is just an updated Gran Turismo 5, it is a racing game after all. Even if it sells 2 million it will be profitable. If it was a PS4 title the cost would go much higher and it wouldn't sell consoles. When the sales slow down a bit in PS4's second or third year Gran Turismo will come out and boost sales again.

Around the Network
michael_stutzer said:

PS4 doesn't need more games, the console is already selling itself just fine. On PS3 the development cost was quite low, it is just an updated Gran Turismo 5, it is a racing game after all. Even if it sells 2 million it will be profitable. If it was a PS4 title the cost would go much higher and it wouldn't sell consoles. When the sales slow down a bit in PS4's second or third year Gran Turismo will come out and boost sales again.

Exactly. It's a cash cow for Sony, an easy way to turn a profit and it's all about timing.

They can re-use the assets it took them 5 years to build, make a lot more money off the PS3, then release their next title on the PS4 when the install base has reached over 30m and hype has had a chance to really build.

This was weighed against building a new engine and launching earlier on the PS4.

I don't agree with the next GT not selling consoles. GT does move hardware. Sony might have shifted consoles quicker by releasing earlier, but the GT fanbase will follow where the franchise goes and GT7 will sell hardware whenever it arrives.

Edit: I re-read what you wrote and I think I misunderstood what you said, you mean GT isn't needed early on, because the console will sell regardless. If so, I agree completely.

Dallinor said:

Exactly. It's a cash cow for Sony, an easy way to turn a profit and it's all about timing.

They can re-use the assets it took them 5 years to build, make a lot more money off the PS3, then release their next title on the PS4 when the install base has reached over 30m and hype has had a chance to really build.

This was weighed against building a new engine and launching earlier on the PS4.

I don't agree with the next GT not selling consoles. GT does move hardware. Sony might have shifted consoles quicker by releasing earlier, but the GT fanbase will follow where the franchise goes and GT7 will sell hardware whenever it arrives.

Edit: I re-read what you wrote and I think I misunderstood what you said, you mean GT isn't needed early on, because the console will sell regardless. If so, I agree completely.

That was my point exactly. Every console they produce will sell regardless of a GT release. It is much more needed when the sales slow down a bit.

Also I don't want a rushed GT game on PS4. They should take their time and release a complete product. Weather, day and night races etc. should all be in there. Though they should definitely release it in 2015 at the latest lol.

Sony has had shitty timing on all their good games this year, if it was 2012 it would be a different story. It would do Sony good to upgrade them to a ps4 format and release them again. Its hard to go back to the DS3, mainly why I didnt finish into the nexus yet.

Not gonna sell more than 3 million

michael_stutzer said:

That was my point exactly. Every console they produce will sell regardless of a GT release. It is much more needed when the sales slow down a bit.

Also I don't want a rushed GT game on PS4. They should take their time and release a complete product. Weather, day and night races etc. should all be in there. Though they should definitely release it in 2015 at the latest lol.

I'd say 2015 is a bit optimistic, I'd say it's more likely slated for 2016, but you never know.