By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A Difference of Less than 20 Million Consoles Separate PS3 and Wii

Tagged games:

Checking out the Latest Chart for Last Gen Consoles, I noticed a difference of Less than 20 Million Consoles Separating  Sony's Playstation 3 and  Nintendo's Wii ( with only a little over three million sales separating the two consoles in Japan, a little over a million sales separating the consoles in Europe, and 16 million sales separating the two consoles in America ).

With zero Wii games to be developed in the coming years and with the Wii already having been discontinued in Japan and Europe and the Playstation 3 still performing quite strongly worldwide ( it was the third best selling console last week with sales of nearly 500,000 units ) and with Sony pledging to support the console for a long time ( at least 3 more years I believe ) and groundbreaking exclusives and multiplatform games still being announced to be coming to the PS3 in the coming years ( Persona 5 for Holiday 2014 most recently announced ) plus the price cuts that will still certainly be coming the Playstation 3's way in time, do you think it's possible that Playstation 3 may still complete the Biggest Comeback in the History of Video Games and wind up passing Wii and becoming the winner of the 7th Generation before it is finally retired from store shelves? 

Around the Network

i honestly don't expect it to.

The PS3 is going to do well for a "replaced" console, I have no doubt of that, but it's still going to decline at a steady rate. I don't see them being able to lower the cost enough that it was a PS2-like second-life. The Wii will remain as the best selling console of the generation, though it will be relatively close.

PS3 will outsell Wii in 3-4 years, yes !

I don't think it can beat the Wii, but I think the difference between them will be less than 10% which is pretty good.

Around the Network

Its going to be close. It definately wont be supported for as long as PS2, but if it stays for 3 more years, giving itself the '10 year life cycle' then I think it will make it.

It's going to be close. I can't see any reason why it won't have similar legs to the PS2.

Anything can happen. Maybe the Wii will somehow have a second boom of sales and sell 200 million...

1doesnotsimply

It'll be close but I don't think, like others have said, Sony can drop the price drastically like the Ps2.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

ps3-sales! said:
It'll be close but I don't think, like others have said, Sony can drop the price drastically like the Ps2.

But PS2 didn't have that expensive cell thing!

Edit: wait, I reread that... I think we're on the same page.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)