By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A short review - Donkey Kong Country Returns

Tagged games:

I bought the game some months ago but played the game just recently with my brother! Here is my short review of the game!

Gameplay: Excellent controls. The game plays and feels good!  It gets more difficult the more worlds you beat but it's never unfair, it's a decent challenge if you are playing alone. If you are playing with someone else though the game can be a LOT more difficult as you spend a lot more lives than in single player. Fortunately there is a way to get lots of coins to buy lots of lives early in the game.

Music: The music has some good tunes and you can unlock all the tunes in the game! It's fitting and has some memorable tunes. I liked a lot the music when you are on the flying barrel stages!

Story: Well the story is ok, it's a platformer so the story is not an important part but it gets the job done. Donkey Kong has to fight the Tiki's as they hypnotized the animals in the island to steal is bananas! It 's just an excuse to send Donkey and Diddy in an adventure!

Value: The game has a lot of value has it has a co-op  and lots of challenges to do! You have puzzle pices to collect in each stage and the K-O-N-G letters! You also have an insanely hard time attack mode for each stage. The time trials don't count to 100% the game though. There is also a Mirror mode where you do all the stages again but mirrored. You also can't use Diddy kong and you die in just one hit. This ups your % to 200%. You also have an image gallery, a music gallery and a diorama gallery!

TL;DR: Best platformer of the 7th gen.

5 Stars

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Phoenix down! Come on thread! You can survive the "Knack outsold Super Mario 3D World" threads! Go short review! Go!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I loved this game. Possibly the most rage inducing ( in a good way) game i have played in a while. As hardcore as hardcore platforming gets.

acdcste said:
I loved this game. Possibly the most rage inducing ( in a good way) game i have played in a while. As hardcore as hardcore platforming gets.

It sure was! Specially if you play co-op!

*sigh*

Still on my "to buy" list. I'll do my best to get it this Xmas.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

There´s so many great games on the 3DS right now, and more to come, that this particular game will have to wait until I get my year-end extra wages.

I tried this and thought it was too hard, I'm not very good with platformers...

JEMC said:
*sigh*

Still on my "to buy" list. I'll do my best to get it this Xmas.

I hope you get it man! Belive me you won't regret it!

Lelouch_Vi_Brittania said:
I tried this and thought it was too hard, I'm not very good with platformers...

Indeed the game is really hard and only gets harder the more you advance xD. I remember the original Donkey Kong Country was also really hard but it takes practice. You can get lots of coins in an early stage in the game so lives are not scarce! Although it takes some practice to get those coins...

Rogerioandrade said:
There´s so many great games on the 3DS right now, and more to come, that this particular game will have to wait until I get my year-end extra wages.

Never tried the 3DS version but if it's as good as the Wii game then it's totally worth the purchase. The Wii version seems slightly better though as it has co-op!