By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Now that Persona 5 was announced for winter 2014 in Japan, will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan?

Tagged games:

As the title suggests, the PS3 will have solid support until winter 2014 in Japan.

Past week:

PS3 11,863 (+2%) 9,595,129
Wii 688 (+20%)

Around a 3.15m gap with the PS3 gaining slowly. The last Persona game on PS2 sold around 200k fw, but interest was rekindled with the PSV version so I think Persona 5 might do 250k- 300k FW. PS3 sales have been slowing down lately and will probably slow down even more next year. But with decent support until at least winter 2014 the PS3 might be able to sell past the wii in the coming years. It seemed obvious that the PS3 would beat the Wii in Europe and 360 to beat the Wii in NA. But Japan has always been a ??????????????

Around the Network

Nope

no it wont.

Nope. Persona won't push 3 million for a console, not even in Japan. Even then, most people interested in this game most likely already have a PS3.

Persona 4 only pushed 360k in Japan on the PS2

The more recent P4G on Vita is 270k (with digital maybe +400k)

It's a niche title, that isn't by itself going to push another +Million PS3's

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

Meh, guess the point was not articulated well enough. The point is not that Persona 5 will bring it above the Wii. It is that the PS3 will continue to have decent support in Japan for a long while. I would say it will sell for another 3-5 years,to try and beat the Wii in Japan. About 150k more to be sold so around 900k for the year. 3m left in however many years it will be selling. As long as it has good support it probably will not do too terribly.

I personally do not think it will pass the Wii, just wanted to clarify what I meant as a possibility.

I'm having doubts the PS3 will even sell more than 1.5 million the rest of its life in Japan. Most people who would be intrested in a home console in Japan already have one.  

P5 won't push any units, everyone who's gonna buy that game already owns a PS3

Not even close

Click HERE and be happy 

can't see it man