By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's so bad about micro-transactions?

Tagged games:

Yay or nay for micro-transactions?

YAY 2 7.69%

NAY 20 76.92%

Keu-Re-Yong POP!!! 4 15.38%

Total:26

So I see games cop a lot of crap for having micro-transactions, full price retail games mainly. These are completely additional and not required to beat the game. So why are these so bad, how are they worse than DLC? The current game to cop it is the much anticipated Gran Turismo 6. GT6 allows you to buy credits with real world money. I cant see why anyone would care if this feature is in the game, the point of the game is to race which earns you credits.

So whats your opinion on non-required micro-transactions?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/11/18/gran-turismo-6-digital-pre-order-now-available-in-game-credits-detailed/

Around the Network

it's annoying, but in games like Dead Space or GT6 where it's pay to cheat, idc, aside that it breaks immersion. As long as they don't prosecute/ban people who find other ways to cheat.

F2P games I really don't care, because that's the point.

It removes the incentive to play a lot, which is the whole purpose of games with a lot of content.

It is an odd psychological issue for me. For some reason I'd rather pay $20 up front and have access to everything rather than spending $1 for each bit, even if all the content I wanted came to $15. I guess part of this is it seems alien to me growing up in NES and SNES era where the "pay one price, get everything the game will ever have" model was the norm.

Around the Network

Lol who voted for Crayon Pop??
Thats my answer and mine only damn it

I don't mind microtransactions in a game that's easily completed by normal means, but what I don't like is games where microtransactions are pretty much required to make an sort of decent progress. So to me, most free to play games are garbage because of the microtransactions. Games like Dead Space 3, Tales of Graces F, etc, I couldn't care that the game lets you buy levels and money since the games aren't purposefully broken into requiring you to pay for them.

Although if you take microtransactions in a different way, like what Square Enix is doing with Lightning Returns. Each costume is a class, and they're offering many different costumes as vouchers. Not only are these not on disc, but they're extra content developed prior to the games release that forces you to preorder, buy other games you may not want, or pay for DLC.

This whole game is incomplete upon release bs is something I really hate that's become popular to developers this gen.

I don't like "cheats" microtransaction in full priced games.. we used to have them for free.. don't mind cosmetic stuff, like horse armor..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
I don't like "cheats" microtransaction in full priced games.. we used to have them for free.. don't mind cosmetic stuff, like horse armor..

On consoles most games didn't have cheats and those that did didn't have max money, max stats, unless using a bug or co op save/load.  That's why there were devices like Game Genie, Game Shark, etc. 

It wasn't even common on PC.  Games like Warcraft with pot of gold, etc, or games like Sims had it, but most of the time, you'd have to mess with save data files in order to cheat on PC.

I copied and pasted this from a previous post, FYI:

Micro-transactions are one of the many things currently wrong with the industry. It's a manipulative model that erodes the wholeness of a game by breaking it apart and hiding its component parts behind a paywall.