By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Can Explain Sonic Lost World's Poor Sales

Tagged games:

This may be old news, but whatever. You may/ may not know that Sonic Lost World flopped. HARD. Selling roughly 38,000 in America it's first week. For a game that everyone was hyping up to be a system seller, that is atrocious. But, this time poor reception and the Wii U's install base weren't to blame.

Sega did a TERRIBLE job marketing this game. I think I saw one television ad, no website ads, and only one standee in a Gamestop. Not only was the game poorly marketed, it was poorly planned. Why..why would you launch an exclusive title for a system that doesn't have many users THE SAME DAY AC4 AND BF4 come out. Not to mention, Wii Party U (not that that did much better either, however it did great in Japan.) had just come out as well as Arkham Origins. Sending that game out at that point is suicide. Even worse is the 3DS version, which is probably due to the aftermath of Pokemon X/Y.

I expect atleast the game to have some sort of legs, hopefully long enough ones to atleast get to 500k, but Sega should've re-evaluated and sent the game out later than the planned release date. I feel like early December would've been good, as it would've filled in for Donkey Kong.

Around the Network

I'm honestly just now hearing about this game, from this thread.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

If it weren't for VGChartz, I wouldn't know that this game has been released.

Nintendo really needs to look at when other games launch and plan their launches accordenly...they launched Wonderful 101 so close to GTA 5 and left the game to die.

€dit: my post didn't make any sense

i agree with the marketing, without vgc i wouldn't have heard about this game.  someone else in this thread said already the same

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Nintendo really needs to look at when other games launch and plan their launches accordenly...they launched Wonderful 101 so close to GTA 5 and left the game to die.

I have a bad feeling about them launching Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, and Mario Party on the same day Xbox One launches. I know those games will keep them competitive but the idea is pretty naive.

It had reviews nearly as bad as Sonic 06. Therefore, its week one sales were only slightly higher.

I think its fairly simple.

Love and tolerate.

No marketing + bad reviews + small install base = weak sales.
Not exactly rocket science.

Salnax said:
It had reviews nearly as bad as Sonic 06. Therefore, its week one sales were only slightly higher.

I think its fairly simple.

Fans attacked reviewers though.

The game is actually great. Most people don't notice that 60 critics reviewed the game and 21 of the reviewers gave it a favorable score.

Either way, Sonic 06 went on to sell millions.  Maybe the same thing will apply to Lost World?

Go look at first week sales for any of the Sonic games on Wii, this game is doing almost as good as them

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.