By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You think PlayStation 4’s launch roster is soft? Well…

Tagged games:

Which console had the best lineup?

Playstation...Zero Divide baby! 10 10.87%

Playstation 2...SSX! 18 19.57%

PSP...Wipeout Pure can play on this thing??? 3 3.26%

Playstation 3...Genji -_- 4 4.35%

PS VITA...It has more than 5 games? 23 25.00%

Playstation 4...Dat Killzone O_O 34 36.96%

Total:92

Sorry if already posted. How many launch titles did you guys pick up for each console?

Comparing Two Decades’ Worth of PlayStation Launch Lineups

You think PlayStation 4’s launch roster is soft? Well…

Sony has launched six core pieces of hardware in the PlayStation family over nearly two decades. And the launch lineups for the various platforms vary wildly in terms of diversity, quality, and overall heft.

Some platforms, like PSone, launched with a small group of games with few standouts. Others, like PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Vita, launched with huge libraries, with some quality offerings to boot. We figured we’d put together six grids, with the six platforms’ North American launch libraries, to give gamers a better idea of how PlayStation 4 stacks up against historical launch lineups.

Certain references helped make these lists more accurate – as it’s sometimes hard to nail down release dates -- including Wikipedia, GameFAQs, and Metacritic. (Other sources within IGN can be found here: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.)

Keep an eye out next week for our Xbox Launch Lineups comparison.

PlayStation (September 09, 1995)

PSone's launch brought with it some interesting games, including Rayman and a port of NBA Jam. Battle Arena Toshinden was the pack-in game with PlayStation at launch, during an era when consoles still came with something to play.

PlayStation 2 (October 26, 2000)

With the exception of PlayStation 4, PS2's launch lineup is the meatiest in PlayStation history. What's perhaps most interesting about this launch lineup is how many games From Software contributed to it, the studio that would one day go on to make Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

PlayStation Portable (March 24, 2005)

When Sony decided to jump into the portable hardware race, it did so with a launch lineup that included a new Metal Gear game, a Twisted Metal title, and internally-developed sports games.

PlayStation 3 (November 17, 2006)

PlayStation 3's American launch lineup rivals the original PlayStation's in terms of amount of titles available. Sony only contributed two games -- Resistance: Fall of Man and NBA 07 -- with near-launch games, like MotorStorm, not ready until the European launch.

PlayStation Vita (February 22, 2012)

Many argue that, in terms of quality, PlayStation Vita's launch lineup is the strongest in PlayStation history. With games like Escape Plan, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Super Stardust Delta, and Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, it's not hard to see why.

PlayStation 4 (November 15, 2013)

Here's PlayStation 4's American launch lineup as it currently stands (you can keep an eye on any changes on our PlayStation 4 Launch Lineup Wiki. Unfortunately, we don't know how any of these games are yet, but we do know that there are a lot of games ready for day one.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/25/comparing-two-decades-worth-of-playstation-launch-lineups

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

Yeah but its got KZ so im happy as. That should keep me happy for well over 6 months.

I guess they mean launch window and not launch day.  Also, I'm pretty sure Toshinden wasn't packed with the PS1 until like 1997 or Christmas 1996.

*edit* Here ya go: http://www.game-rave.com/psx_galleries/feat_launch/index.html  I like to back up my obscure memories with links.  Can't let people go around rewriting history!

http://www.game-rave.com/psx_galleries/feat_launch/index.html

Solid launch lineup, getting KZ, BF4, Knack and Injustice

I hate this guy,I absolutely do,

but he is right in this case, launches are always terrible, this won´t be the last...

... it is still a bit disengenious though to list old up-ports like Flower, Flow, Escape Plan, DC Universe Online, Sound Shapes and things like Play Room to make the list better than it is.

But hey, Colin Moriaty !

Around the Network

vita has no gaemz, nor dose teh ps4.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Has he listed US launch titles in all of these? Because they used to vary wildly from region to region, iirc.

I think they all had pretty good launch lineups actually. Certainly for each of those lists I could go through and pick out at least 6+ games per console that I've later gone on to buy at some point during the console's life.

I actually think PS4's is the weakest just because it's lacking exclusives. All multi-plats or cross-buy games. PS1's is pretty shocking; but games like Jumping Flash! & Battle Arena Toshinden are still things that sold me on the console (thanks to the Demo 1 disk that came packed in).

I still find the launch roster boring. There are three games that interest me, two of them are multiplats. It's a great lineup for fans of Killzone though, since that title probably singlehandedly makes the list good enough for those.

Kresnik said:
Has he listed US launch titles in all of these? Because they used to vary wildly from region to region, iirc.

I think they all had pretty good launch lineups actually. Certainly for each of those lists I could go through and pick out at least 6+ games per console that I've later gone on to buy at some point during the console's life.

I actually think PS4's is the weakest just because it's lacking exclusives. All multi-plats or cross-buy games. PS1's is pretty shocking; but games like Jumping Flash! & Battle Arena Toshinden are still things that sold me on the console (thanks to the Demo 1 disk that came packed in).

This is only North American launches apparently. Otherwise, they would've added Motorstorm.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

So basically PS4 has half the number of PS2 launch retails, and is as weak as PS3's plus a dozen indies