By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tales of Xillia, Does Milla's "lisp" bother you?

Tagged games:

I keep hearing people say they don't like the voice acting for Millia, but if you think about the story and the fact that shes not human it actually makes sense.  Anyway I never had a problem with her voice.

Around the Network

A little, it bugged me a lot initially, but i got used to it. the quality of the recording enhances it negatively. Elizes voice bothers me a lot more. It sounds a lot like an adult trying to do a kids voice which it is.

Bristow9091 said:
I also found a thread on another forum talking about characters with lisps in videogames, such as Kuo from inFamous 2, apparently a lot of people needed subtitles to understand her, yet I heard her just fine, and there's lots more hateful comments on the topic of people with lisps...

Do you think people with lisps should be allowed to do voice acting?

I didn't even notice she had a lisp lol.  I think the main problem people have with Millia's voice actor is shes really monotone, not really her lisp.

Bristow9091 said:
I also found a thread on another forum talking about characters with lisps in videogames, such as Kuo from inFamous 2, apparently a lot of people needed subtitles to understand her, yet I heard her just fine, and there's lots more hateful comments on the topic of people with lisps...

Ofcourse. Though they shouldn't be given roles in charity. Having a speech issue can stand out and at times make listening to it less pleasurable or in some cases more pleasurable. Voice acting is dependent on acting talent on vocal quality (lisp, high pitched, low pitched, nasally , etc) However, if it fits the character and the director think some things like that enhances the character then certainly.

Also I'm not the expert in is since they are voice actors, Aren't there are ways to hide and minimize lisps through therapy etc? 

The weird thing is, as far as I can tell from interviews the voice actor doesn't actually have a lisp. She's a Japanese American if I remember, that decided to use a monotone and lisp for the character.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Bristow9091 said:

I didn't even notice she had a lisp lol.  I think the main problem people have with Millia's voice actor is shes really monotone, not really her lisp.

This.  She has a lisp? lol  I was just playing it right before I saw this thread and I didn't notice.  She's just very bland but it's suited for her character.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
ishiki said:
Bristow9091 said:

Ofcourse. Though they shouldn't be given roles in charity. Having a speech issue can stand out and at times make listening to it less pleasurable or in some cases more pleasurable. Voice acting is dependent on acting talent on vocal quality (lisp, high pitched, low pitched, nasally , etc) However, if it fits the character and the director think some things like that enhances the character then certainly.

Also I'm not the expert in is since they are voice actors, Aren't there are ways to hide and minimize lisps through therapy etc? 

Ofcourse, to an extent, but then if that were the case, they wouldn't want to be a voice actor anyway, it's pretty much like singing, there are people with lisps and stutters that are pretty big, such as Elton John, who DOESN'T know him?!

But I think it's unfair for people to say listening to these people hurts their ears or say it's unpleasurable or something, since they wouldn't have been chosen for the job otherwise...

This is where it get's tricky. It's not nice to say things like that. But there is still racism, people that are biased against certain predispositions (sexual, disorders, etc). People are just going to say things like that. Me being Japanese bothers some people because I've gotten racsist remarks, etc, to a lot of people it doesn't  bother at all.

it's just the world heh.

Yeah i saw reviews saying the voice acting was good except for her, but after playing the game for 5 hours, im surprisingly fine with her. Loving the game aswell. At least so far, because its more like Vesperia than graces. I hated Graces. It was childish and boring.

I am too focused on other "qualities" of her character. The voice actor is a minor distraction.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I didn't even know that she had one.

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/