By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Best Selling New Franchises of the 7th Generation

Tagged games:

The seventh generation is wrapping up, so I thought I'd take a look at the best selling new series of the gen. Just to see what new stuff we got that debuted on the DS, PSP, 360, Wii, and PS3.

Series Publisher Total Best-Seller
Wii Nintendo 190.22 81.55
Wii Sports Nintendo 113.45 81.55
Assassin's Creed Ubisoft 52.8 5.46
Wii Fit Nintendo 43.99 22.76
Just Dance Ubisoft 41.32 9.89
Brain Age Nintendo 35.31 20.04
Kinect Microsoft 35.03 20.43
Nintendogs Nintendo 27.67 24.54
Rock Band Electronic Arts 25.7 2.41
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Sega 25.16 7.88
Imagine Ubisoft 20.32 2.85
Gears of War Microsoft 19.88 6.64
Uncharted Sony 17.91 6.25
Mama Majesco 17.3 5.49
Professor Layton Nintendo 16.34 5.09
Batman Arkham Warner Bros 16.25 4.5
LEGO Batman Warner Bros 16.03 3.05
Mass Effect Electronic Arts 13.27 3.01
Saints Row THQ 13.15 2.81
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed LucasArts 12.76 2.57
MySims Electronic Arts 12.65 3.62
Zumba Fitness 505 Games 11.91 6.5
LittleBigPlanet Sony 11.39 5.23
Ben 10 D3 10.93 1.68
Bioshock Take-Two 10.51 2.67
Big Brain Academy Nintendo 10.3 6.56

Notes:

*So far as I can tell, we had about 20 new big series this gen, not counting all the Wii subseries and Mario spinoffs and whatnot.

*The big winners this gen were Nintendo and Ubisoft

*Sony and Microsoft, despite relying on older series, each had two big new franchises.

*Mass Effect was the only big new RPG

*Only a minority of these series are really shooting-based

*Not counting games with "Wii" in the title that are parts of other series, like Mario Kart Wii, the Wii series is the third most popular retail series of all time

*Some of these series, like Brain Age, Nintendogs, Rock Band, Imagine, and Mama, have already declined significantly or even ceased over the course of a single generation

*The split between new "hardcore" and "casual" series is pretty even

*Games like Call of Duty debuted last gen silly!

Did I miss anything?

Edit: I missed a lot of stuff. Hopefully Version 2.0 works better!

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

No love for LittleBigPlanet's 11.39m at the bottom, instead of Bioshock's 10.51m?

How about the "Kinect" games, too? I'm not sure how you'd count them because I honestly don't know that much about them, but Kinect Adventures alone sold 20m; and there's another game in the DB called "Disneyland Adventures" which I presume is connected.

Also, this list made me realise just how far back this generation has gone. Nintendogs & Brain Age indeed.

Kresnik said:
No love for LittleBigPlanet's 11.39m at the bottom, instead of Bioshock's 10.51m?

How about the "Kinect" games, too? I'm not sure how you'd count them because I honestly don't know that much about them, but Kinect Adventures alone sold 20m; and there's another game in the DB called "Disneyland Adventures" which I presume is connected.

Also, this list made me realise just how far back this generation has gone. Nintendogs & Brain Age indeed.

...I'm a stupid person. I forgot about one of this website's features for a moment.

Would nobody else comment about omissions in the list for a few minutes? I forgot a whole bunch of stuff.

Love and tolerate.

You can't count the same games for several different franchises, either Wii is one big franchise or it's not a franchise and Wii Sports, Wii Fit are their own franchises.

Tower said:
You can't count the same games for several different franchises, either Wii is one big franchise or it's not a franchise and Wii Sports, Wii Fit are their own franchises.

I meant to put those two Wii subseries and the Batman and Star Wars games in italics to denote that they were parts of other franchises. It did not work. I'll try again.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

Made me sad to see THQ in there knowing it's not around, even-though it had such a great seller.

It Kinect Adventurers / Kinect Sports not included because it's a single game? (Oh, I see note, ignore this sentence.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Kresnik is prickly and filled with rodents of many different varieties.

I wonder how many of those are going to transition well into next gen. Is Professor Layton the first confirmed success in that regard?

I'm happy to see Saint's Row there, to be honest, especially amongst all the Brains, Dogs, Dancing, and Fitnesses.

pokoko said:
Kresnik is prickly and filled with rodents of many different varieties

You didn't see version 1.0 of the table. It was embarassing...

Love and tolerate.

Great list! I'll read it more thoroughly tomorrow

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

add this to your OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQeL35ii21U