By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Zelda Gets Mediocre Debut in Japan

Tagged games:

It seems wind waker hd got mediocore debut in Japan. It scored 7th place in the chart. Monster hunter 4 stayed at first position.

Like every Monday the major Japanese retailer Tsutaya released its software sales charts, that can be considered a good indicator of what happened in the Japanese video game market last week due to the the fact that the retail and rental chain has a very high number of stores spread across the whole country.

Here’s the chart related to the week between September the 23rd and September the 29th.

1. Monster Hunter 4 – 3Ds
  2. Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate – PS3
  3. Armored Core: Verdict Day – PS3
  4. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – PS Vita
  5. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – PS3
  6. Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate – PS Vita
  7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – Wii U
  8. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (limited edition) – PS Vita
  9. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (limited edition) – PS3
  10. Final Fantasy XIV:  A Realm Reborn – PS3
  11. Battle Princess of Arcadias – PS3
  12. Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 3DS
  13. Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion – 3DS
  14. Sangokushi 12 With Power-up Kit - PS3
  15. Youkai Watch – 3DS
  16. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 3DS
  17. JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle – PS3
  18. Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 3DS
  19.  My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute: Happy End -PS3
  20. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 3DS

Monster Hunter 4 manages to remain on top for the third week in a row, defying my personal predictions, since I thought it would start to drop a bit on the third week. No dice there. The usual bunch of 3DS games raning from Disney Magic Castle to Youkai Watch and Animal Crossing also continue to demonstrate amazing staying power in the charts.

On the other end of the spectrum, another potentially solid Wii U game, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, had a rather mediocre debut, grabbing a saddening 7th place and showing once more that Japanese gamers most of the times don’t care too much for HD remakes. Hopefully a truly new Zelda game will do better.

Zelda‘s mediocre debut performance must obviously be divine punishment for sending me the most terrible promo package I ever saw, made of a horrible plastic sword that has nothing to do with Link’s Master Sword, a green condom hat clearly labeled “Gnome Hat” and a pin. A friend even tried to convince me to take a picture with them…Not going to happen. Ever. Of course I’m kidding (not about not taking a picture), but goodness…

Nippon Ichi’s Battle Princess of Arcadias, that I personally like a lot, also failed to make a big splash, but that one was labeled as a niche JRPG from the start, so it’s not too surprising.

Between Monster Hunter and Zelda there’s a whole batch of new PS3 and PS Vita games that simply didn’t have enough steam to dethrone the current king. We’ll have to pay attention to The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki when the Media Create charts will come out on Wednesday, since Tsutaya splits collector’s editions and standard ones in its charts, so it might get a bump when they’re added up.

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/30/zelda-gets-mediocre-debut-in-japan-monster-hunter-stays-on-top-according-to-major-retailers-sales-charts/

Around the Network

Zelda always sells less in Japan compared to other regions like NA.

Tsutaya isn't the most accurate. They just make estimates based on their sales. They've had inaccurate rankings before. wait until Media Create or Famitsu so that we actually get sales numbers and then, we can dismiss it you so desire

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Fun little fact... Call of Duty is actually more popular in Japan than Zelda these days.

Are you suggesting that the charts of a single chain store, among the hundreds that exist in Japan, reflects the entire japanese market?

Let´s wait for MD and Famitsu charts before jumping on conclusions. By the way, 7th place is far from mediocre, considering that digital sales seems to be booming in Japan.

Around the Network

Sales numbers ars more important than rankings.lets wait for them.

but it is pretty obvious that all that things that helped 3ds out of the darkness and pushed it to new heights(zelda hd,2dmario,monster hunter ,dragon quest) seem not to work for Wii U.
Neither in japan nor the rest of the world.
only 2 bullets remaining(mario3d/card)

I am sad HD remake worth much better

Zelda sells better in North America! Also we should wait till we get all the numbers to say it was a mediocre launch.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

daredevil.shark said:

It seems wind waker hd got mediocore debut in Japan. It scored 7th place in the chart. Monster hunter 4 stayed at first position.

Like every Monday the major Japanese retailer Tsutaya released its software sales charts, that can be considered a good indicator of what happened in the Japanese video game market last week due to the the fact that the retail and rental chain has a very high number of stores spread across the whole country.

Here’s the chart related to the week between September the 23rd and September the 29th.

1. Monster Hunter 4 – 3Ds
  2. Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate – PS3
  3. Armored Core: Verdict Day – PS3
  4. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – PS Vita
  5. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – PS3
  6. Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate – PS Vita
  7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – Wii U
  8. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (limited edition) – PS Vita
  9. The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (limited edition) – PS3
  10. Final Fantasy XIV:  A Realm Reborn – PS3
  11. Battle Princess of Arcadias – PS3
  12. Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 3DS
  13. Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion – 3DS
  14. Sangokushi 12 With Power-up Kit - PS3
  15. Youkai Watch – 3DS
  16. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 3DS
  17. JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle – PS3
  18. Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 3DS
  19.  My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute: Happy End -PS3
  20. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 3DS

Monster Hunter 4 manages to remain on top for the third week in a row, defying my personal predictions, since I thought it would start to drop a bit on the third week. No dice there. The usual bunch of 3DS games raning from Disney Magic Castle to Youkai Watch and Animal Crossing also continue to demonstrate amazing staying power in the charts.

On the other end of the spectrum, another potentially solid Wii U game, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, had a rather mediocre debut, grabbing a saddening 7th place and showing once more that Japanese gamers most of the times don’t care too much for HD remakes. Hopefully a truly new Zelda game will do better.

Zelda‘s mediocre debut performance must obviously be divine punishment for sending me the most terrible promo package I ever saw, made of a horrible plastic sword that has nothing to do with Link’s Master Sword, a green condom hat clearly labeled “Gnome Hat” and a pin. A friend even tried to convince me to take a picture with them…Not going to happen. Ever. Of course I’m kidding (not about not taking a picture), but goodness…

Nippon Ichi’s Battle Princess of Arcadias, that I personally like a lot, also failed to make a big splash, but that one was labeled as a niche JRPG from the start, so it’s not too surprising.

Between Monster Hunter and Zelda there’s a whole batch of new PS3 and PS Vita games that simply didn’t have enough steam to dethrone the current king. We’ll have to pay attention to The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki when the Media Create charts will come out on Wednesday, since Tsutaya splits collector’s editions and standard ones in its charts, so it might get a bump when they’re added up.

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/30/zelda-gets-mediocre-debut-in-japan-monster-hunter-stays-on-top-according-to-major-retailers-sales-charts/

Before talking lightly about that think about the entire list, how many 3DS games are you seeing in that list? how low on the list are they?

of course it is not going to sell like crazy if it's relesing 1 week after MONSTER HUNTER 4 (a new game). NINTENDO gamers are locked down for the game in the few 1-2 months. But Zelda is going to keep selling steadily. As you said, it is a remake after all. It is just back luck that it got released the same month as MH4.

All because you want people to hate again on Nintendo. Good for ou mean.

Nintendo is money!