By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Upon closer look... FF XV looks bad...

Tagged games:

I am going to start this thread by saying that I liked the E3 video the first time I saw it but after all the hype I finally sat down to watch the video again... and I'm dissapointed.

My problem is the approach to combat that Square Enix is taking. They say the game is being done with Kingdom Hearts battle system on mind and that is what bugs me.

The first Kingdom Hearts actually had a nice yet simple combat system. You could attack use magic and summons in real time battles. As you leveled up you got more abilites which spiced up the attack command. Also in the first game magic was an important part of the gameplay! You even had a secret boss who requiered you to use most of your magic arsenal. And it had some difficult bosses too!

The problem was when the second game was released... Kingdom Hearts II had a similar battle system but it was waaaay more simple. The game had magic and summons but most of them where useless. The only spell you could use in the game that actually served some purpose was the cure spell. Most summons where useless too... Apart from all these things we had the Reaction Commands which I think are the worst part of the gameplay... They where context sensitive commands you could activate with the triangle button. They would stun a boss or take a good chunk of the bosses health. It was nice to use them and see sora do all those flashy actions but it was not adding to the gampelay. The game could be beaten with the X and triangle button.  It had no depth or substance, it was just flashy effects on my TV screen.

And that is where I see the next FF going... Flashy stuff on your screen, while you are permited to touch the buttons and see what happens. Kinda like Final Fantasy XIII. I lost all hope for Square...

But that is my opinon, what do you think of Final Fantasy XV?

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Haven't played KH in such a long time I can't really remember the combat that well.

I don't particularly like the way these RPGs are going with over the top high speed attacks, allowing you to control only one character at a time. Leaving the rest up to autobattle.

I think there needs to be a balance between both. I don't think FF15 will provide that.

A203D said:
Haven't played KH in such a long time I can't really remember the combat that well.

I don't particularly like the way these RPGs are going with over the top high speed attacks, allowing you to control only one character at a time. Leaving the rest up to autobattle.

I think there needs to be a balance between both. I don't think FF15 will provide that.

That's the problem, there is no strategy involved in fights. In KH II you can waltz through battles with the X button. There is no thought requirement in the game :/

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Late.

Reading all your post, whether or not KH2 has more flash over substance it had great gameplay and that's what we want. Magic did play a role for range and some tactics but it was less than KH1, that is true. KH2 was a refined version of KH1, much like ME2 was refined of ME1.

But I'm not really sure about FFXV, I'm losing faith that SquEnix can produce an on time and good FF game anymore. FFXVI and FFXVII should all be in development as well but I know they aren't.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Late.

Reading all your post, whether or not KH2 has more flash over substance it had great gameplay and that's what we want. Magic did play a role for range and some tactics but it was less than KH1, that is true. KH2 was a refined version of KH1, much like ME2 was refined of ME1.

But I'm not really sure about FFXV, I'm losing faith that SquEnix can produce and on time and good FF game anymore. FFXVI and FFXVII should all be in development as well but I know they aren't.

It wasn't all that great, it was enjoyable to some extent but there was no challenge or strategy and I like those on RPG's. It was still a nice game but I still prefer Kingdom Hearts 1.

I agree I for one lost all fiath inSquare Enix...

Around the Network

KH2 FM+ has better combat than KH FM+ , I trust in Nomura when it comes to these ARPGs.

I disagree completely. Where KH2 did story, characters, and just about everything worse than KH1, the gameplay was most definitely better.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Panama said:
KH2 FM+ has better combat than KH FM+ , I trust in Nomura when it comes to these ARPGs.

I heard from my friend that played KH II  Final Mix  and he said the gameplay was a lot better. I don't know what he refers to but he enjoyed it more!

One thing for sure, the battle system is not oversimplified. The only thing that could ruin it if they make the game too easy. Go ahead, inform yourselves :)

http://gamewise.co/games/14235/Final-Fantasy-XV/Gameplay/Battle-System

Didn't feel like rewording all of that.

I agree.

Didn't look so good to me.