By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XCOM: Enemy Within "too big" to be DLC for 360 and PS3

Tagged games:

I'll be buying this one ^^

dw im here for you basil

Around the Network

So if I interpret this correctly I have to purchase XCOM Enemy Unknown again to get this expansion pack (Enemy Within), but it also comes with the other DLC for Enemy Unknown already on PSN/XBL? (I want it on PS3, that's where I wanted and played XCOM Enemy Unknown)

Any idea how much this is going to cost?

I loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown (my favorite game of 2012 in fact) so if this is maybe $40 or so I'll pick it up, otherwise I'll wait.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

Wait, you can't buy the expansion without buying the main game again? Bwah. No thanks.

Not that I care, anyway, as I got really, really tired of running from cover to cover for 15 minutes until I could find an alien, crashed ship maps that were basically all the same, and having a base that was pretty much finished well before I got to the end.

I didn't even finish XCOM, despite really enjoying the first half of the game. I just kind of ... stopped playing it. They can keep this.

So they keep saying the same thing about 3 times in that article but fail to actually give an explanation. WTF does "too big" mean? It can't just mean number of GB to download given there are 25GB DLs on PSN.

I like Enemy Unknown a lot, though "story" is exceedingly weak if it can even be called that. But damned if I'll be re-buying the main game just to get the expansion.

Publishers pull this shit, then turn around and cry about used game sales. They want to force me to keep the original title at the same time as re-purchasing it? OK, you gonna sell it to me at just the DLC price?

TBH I'd rather get the DLC on disc as I have no space left on my HDD, but as a stand alone expansion like Dragon Age Origin's Awakening, not a bundled "ultimate edition".

All will be forgiven if they release the DLC on its own (on disc) as well as an ultimate edition.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

BasilZero said:
pokoko said:
Wait, you can't buy the expansion without buying the main game again? Bwah. No thanks.

Not that I care, anyway, as I got really, really tired of running from cover to cover for 15 minutes until I could find an alien, crashed ship maps that were basically all the same, and having a base that was pretty much finished well before I got to the end.

I didn't even finish XCOM, despite really enjoying the first half of the game. I just kind of ... stopped playing it. They can keep this.

Which is why the PC version is superior!

Yeah, well, whatever!  Elitist!  Women like you only care about graphics!

... unfortunately, I have a fractured elbow and won't be playing most PC games for awhile.  Console games I can still manage.

Around the Network

It's $40. The pc expansion is $30. Don't be stupid. Get it.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

binary solo said:
So they keep saying the same thing about 3 times in that article but fail to actually give an explanation. WTF does "too big" mean? It can't just mean number of GB to download given there are 25GB DLs on PSN.

I like Enemy Unknown a lot, though "story" is exceedingly weak if it can even be called that. But damned if I'll be re-buying the main game just to get the expansion.

Publishers pull this shit, then turn around and cry about used game sales. They want to force me to keep the original title at the same time as re-purchasing it? OK, you gonna sell it to me at just the DLC price?

TBH I'd rather get the DLC on disc as I have no space left on my HDD, but as a stand alone expansion like Dragon Age Origin's Awakening, not a bundled "ultimate edition".

All will be forgiven if they release the DLC on its own (on disc) as well as an ultimate edition.

That might be true about the DLC size thing.  BioWare said that Microsoft had a size limit on how big DLC could be.  I don't know about the PS3.

However, I don't understand why it couldn't be an expansion, though I don't know what kind rules exist for that.  Regardless, this still seems fishy to me.

BasilZero said:
pokoko said:

Which is why the PC version is superior!

Pls explain in the context of pokoko's post.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

....Does he mean size?500gb xbox/ps3 simply too small?

Take my love, take my land..

pokoko said:
binary solo said:

That might be true about the DLC size thing.  BioWare said that Microsoft had a size limit on how big DLC could be.  I don't know about the PS3.

However, I don't understand why it couldn't be an expansion, though I don't know what kind rules exist for that.  Regardless, this still seems fishy to me.

Ah, is that it. Sony and MS impose a size limit to DLC, meaning anything bigger must be either a stand alone game, or an expansion like DA:O Awakening. OK arse to Sony and/or MS for doing that, though somewhat understandable. But doesn't mean Firaxis aren't arses for only releasing an ultimate edition on console.

@ homer: $10 is $10, and besides it's the principle of the thing. Publishers can't bleat about used game sales and then pull stunts like this...well they can (do) of course but its hypocritical and I won't buy into it. Plenty of other stuff to play.

Jimi Hendrix