By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Trophies have nearly ruined gaming for me.

Tagged games:

I just find it really hard to play games that dont have them :S even though I stopped whoring them over a year ago now and seldom look at my trophy list I just get this weird feeling that if it doesnt have tophies its not really worth playing.

For example I wanna go back and play some classics but they thought of them not having trophies puts me off, I thought if I ignored them that feeling would go away but it hasnt....

I enjoyed gaming alot more when they weren't around -.-

Around the Network

"What are trophies again?"

Thats the philosophy to take.

I hate trophies and achievements, they actually detract from the experience for me.

First off, it's distracting. Completely pulls me out of the game when an ugly out-of-place notification pops up in the middle of a game.

Plus it's patronizing. It treats me like I'm a three-year old getting pats on the head every time I do something right. "Oh, you beat that boss you HAD TO BEAT ANYWAY? ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!" "Oh, you killed x number of generic goons? YOU GOT A TROPHY!" I don't need to be spoonfed, thanks.

They're one of the most worthless gimmicks to come out of the 7th gen.

I hope Nintendo never makes an equivalent, or if they do, that they can be turned off.

curl-6 said:

I hate trophies and achievements, they actually detract from the experience for me.

First off, it's distracting. Completely pulls me out of the game when an ugly out-of-place notification pops up in the middle of a game.

Plus it's patronizing. It treats me like I'm a three-year old getting pats on the head every time I do something right. "Oh, you beat that boss you HAD TO BEAT ANYWAY? ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!" "Oh, you killed x number of generic goons? YOU GOT A TROPHY!" I don't need to be spoonfed, thanks.

I hope Nintendo never makes an equivalent, or if they do, that they can be turned off.

You can turn off trophy notifications, so your entire comment is pointless.

TheKoreanGuy said:
curl-6 said:

This lol

Around the Network

You know, you can turn off trophy notifications if you dislike them.

I personally love them, especially if they are challenging (I did 100% Platinum stuff like DoA5, UFC, MvC3, Super SFIV).

I like going for trophies but I don't usually get out of my way to get them, I only really try to 100%/Platinum my favorite games (usually fighting). I do play games without achievements and trophies but I'd rather have them.

Having a list of everything I ever played on PS3/PSV/X360 (soon PS4 and XBONE) is really nice even if my completion rate sucks.

TheKoreanGuy said:
curl-6 said:

Not pointless at all. I wouldn't have to turn them off if they weren't off-putting, spoonfed shite.

TheKoreanGuy said:
curl-6 said:

win

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

spurgeonryan said:
What is the deal with trophies? Do yu get anything?

I like getting unlockables for hard work. Like old games.

Get some praises from getting a really hard Platinum and bragging rights, that's about it. :P

I like having a history of everything I played. "Oh look, back in june 2010 I beat this boss with a friend in MP, wow feels like yesterday..."... this kind of stuff.

Sony has introduced a reward system using trophies (Bid for Greatness), where you'd big using Gold Trophies to earn real life items. They might try something in the future to reward high trophy counts.

spurgeonryan said:
What is the deal with trophies? Do yu get anything?

I like getting unlockables for hard work. Like old games.

Not usually, for Final Fantasy 13 I think I got a wallpaper for Plating it.