By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bethesda "pushing" Microsoft to drop XBL Gold fee for Elder Scrolls Online

Tagged games:

BasilZero said:

Publisher says it has spoken with Microsoft about possibility of dropping Xbox Live Gold membership fee for upcoming MMORPG.

Bethesda is "pushing" Microsoft to make a special exception in the case of upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game The Elder Scrolls Online and drop the Xbox Live Gold fee for gamers interested in playing that title on Xbox One.

Speaking with OXM, Bethesda vice president of PR and marketing Pete Hines acknowledged that the Xbox Live subscription fee--about $5 per month--pays for services not specific to any particular title. However, he said Bethesda is working with Microsoft on potentially changing the rules.

"Having said that, we have been in talks with Microsoft about that very thing, and seeing whether or not there's any room to change their minds about that," Hines said. "For folks who are only paying [sic] The Elder Scrolls Online and don't want to pay for an Xbox Live Gold subscription, just to pay [sic] the Elder Scrolls Online."

Hines said right now there is no way around the Xbox Live Gold fee, but made clear that the issue is "something that we're aware of and we keep pushing on to see if there's something that can be done."

The Elder Scrolls Online will carry a $15/month subscription fee for PC. For the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions, players will need to pay this fee in addition to Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus membership costs.

World of Tanks developer Wargaming CEO Victor Kislyi said in June that he was unhappy with the Xbox Live Gold requirement for free-to-play game World of Tanks, though he said there is nothing he can do about it.

"They cannot drop it for us because they would have to drop it for everyone and it would be a total mess for them. This we have to tolerate, which I am not happy about," he said at the time.

The Elder Scrolls Online is aiming for release on the PC, Xbox One, and PS4 in spring 2014, though official release dates have not been announced. For more on the MMO game, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/bethesda-pushing-microsoft-to-drop-xbl-gold-fee-for-elder-scrolls-online-6413721

Didn't Sony say that you don't need to pay for PS+ to play MMOs online?  

Another checkmark for the PS4!

Around the Network

while hope this becomes another 180 for ms this is the least of there problems with this game

Why should we worry about that when the real issue is Bethesda thinking we want to pay $180/year just to play their game? Not to mention you have to first pay $60 in order to begin giving them $15/month.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

BasilZero said:
the-pi-guy said:
So why doesn't it mention anything about pushing Sony, and doesn't the author know that not all games need PS+ to be played online?

Because Sony already confirmed that Online/MMO games will not require PS+ to play.

Edit: They said F2P MMOs but I am guessing it also applies to actual P2P MMOs too - they just probably havent announced that bit but maybe its already been decided which is why Sony isnt mentioned in this article.

i thought it was up to the devloper but since no one would put it behind the paywall if they dont have to i guess its pretty much the same thing

At 15 bucks a month I'll pass anyway... and I'll have xbl gold like most xb users... so that's really not the issue... how long do you think it will take for Bethesda to make it f2p??

Around the Network

Either way I'm not paying a monthly fee to just play one game that I might not even like or play a lot.

Final Fantasy XI on the 360 didn't require Live. Oddly enough it was also te only non-indie 360 game not to have Achievements.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."