By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn struggles through early access weekend

Tagged games:

Are you gonna get into FFXIV?

Yes for the PS3 13 18.57%

Yes for the PS4 17 24.29%

Yes for the PC 16 22.86%

No I dont like MMOs 24 34.29%

Total:70

it was a bad idea in the first place. as an avid Final Fantasy fan ever since i played VI, It's heartbreaking to see what has become of the series.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Just like Dragon Quest X they shouldnt of made this ;x.

Why not? Wasn't XI their most profitable game? It's just too bad that they stumbled out of the gate with this one. At least the game is shaping up better than it was at launch.

After playing the beta myself though, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was just another generic mmo. Idk, maybe I need to be higher level to get more out of it.

Hope it get's fixed, it's easily the best mmo i have ever played

007BondAgent said:
Hope it get's fixed, it's easily the best mmo i have ever played

Are you playing it on PC or PS3?

I'll be writing a review sometime in a couple weeks. Thus far I can say that i'm terribly disappointed with A Realm Reborn. It's riddled with mediocrity, and it's quite evident from lack of time, and poor design decisions.

As a longtime Final Fantasy online player, this is heartbreaking. (This has nothing to do with the server errors. That stuff happens).

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Just because one game was successful especially around the time when MMOs were flourishing doesnt mean that it'll happen again especially when the MMO genre is pretty dried up and people are losing interest in it or losing interest in a P2P type of MMO.

I'm pretty sure the main reason why FFXIV isnt as successful than FFXI is because the mindset is different from previous years - more people are prone to F2P than P2P. Even a pay once and play the game seems to be a better idea (i.e. Guild Wars 2).

Good point. Although I've heard them say many times that the reason they went with P2P is the amount of content they can bring to the game without having to worry whether they'll make their money back or not. In F2P games, typically the developers need to constantly add new things that you can buy with real money in order for it to be profitable. I think a reason like that is valid. P2P and F2P offer different experiences and maybe SE just felt that the P2P experience was the way to go for a Final Fantasy MMO. If the game doesn't turn out profitable, I'm not sure I could say it was solely due to P2P, rather there wasn't enough value and support to justify going that route.

I agree about DQX though, that was pushing their luck.

The main problem is server side, not the gameplay. The servers cannot handle the loads/requests of all the users at one time due to spikes in server activity. This is only in the NA/EU data centers, Japan data center is unaffected because their population is lower compared to NA/EU regions.

Overall, for the time that I get to play in the early access, its the most fun mmorpg i've played yet. I can't wait until they fix their server congestion problem.

Already have the PS3 and PC versions. I will upgrade to the PS4 version when its available

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
BasilZero said:
deskpro2k3 said:

The main problem is server side, not the gameplay. The servers cannot handle the loads/requests of all the users at one time due to spikes in server activity. This is only in the NA/EU data centers, Japan data center is unaffected because their population is lower compared to NA/EU regions.

Overall, for the time that I get to play in the early access, its the most fun mmorpg i've played yet. I can't wait until they fix their server congestion problem.

Already have the PS3 and PC versions. I will upgrade to the PS4 version when its available

Is it cross platform between PC and PS3/PS4?

Yes it is.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
BasilZero said:

Their reasons may be just but regular players wont think like that and would be turned away. There were a lot of people who facepalmed when Elder Scrolls Online was announced as P2P few days ago xD.

You'll be surprised how many people are waiting for certain MMOs to become F2P.....they'll wait because there's tons who are just killing time playing MOBAs which seem to be the new hip genre in the PC platform.

True. Even I'm into the MOBA scene even though I don't play them! xD One of these days when I get a PC I probably will since everyone I know and their mom play these games. It probably doesn't help that they are completely free to play either...

currently speaking, it is successful thus far, that's why it's having the server issues (More people than expected, a lot of the worlds full). Online centric games always have problems at launch. I think they should have had more worlds and limited the amount in each world, except for friend invites.

That said, as with most MMO's I've played (I've played EverQuest, FFXI, TOR, Guild Wars). I still find it a bit boring, not as boring as TOR, I know it becomes more interesting the farther you get, but yeah. The world, and art design is beautiful, and music is fantastic.

The lack of VA's is a bit dissapointing, maybe there are more spots with more I would like to know, I'm not counting on it.

I'm limetree if anyone wants to add, I'll start a new character or something and join a world. I'm sort of waiting til they get their server issues through, to spend much time on it though.