By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So I just finished Skyward Sword...let's discuss. SPOILER ALERT! Stay away if you haven't beaten the game

Tagged games:

I know some of you would have beaten the game the same year it came out, but I only just beat it last weekk. It's never too late to discuss anyway. I think this is the best game in the entire series, and while I know that this statement is highly debatable between Zelda fans, I don't want us to focus on that. I want us to discuss Skyward Sword in particular, not the Zelda series as a whole. So even if this is your least favorite Zelda, join me in reminiscing on what your best and worst parts of the game were, the parts that surprised you, slight tweaks you would have loved to see in the story and gear, et cetera.

I have a lot to say myself, but I don't want to post them in the OP. Let me just say now that the most dissapointing aspect of the game for me was the music. It was good during gameplay, but the harp songs were just plain terrible. I actually cringed at most of them and one of them had me wondering whether they were intentionally making the harp songs horrible. Otherwise, I have nothing but praise for every aspect of the game, with a few ideas for tweaks I would have loved to see.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Around the Network

It is also the best in the series for me aswell. My favorite part(parts) of the game are, the last battle with Ghirahim and Demise, and also the ending. The goodbye with Fi touched me, and also what shocked me was that the old lady was Impa, I did not see that coming.
What I didn't like was the harp side quest, God was that annoying and irritating, and although not as annoying as the harp sidequest, I also didn't enjoy where we had to collect the music notes in Faron Woods, it was good in the beginning, but then it started to get stale.
Every other part of the game I thoroughly enjoyed.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I must say. I don't get a lot of the hate. It's a high quality game with a lot of fresh ideas and dungeons, a lively cast, great music and side quests...need I go on?

People just like hating on the latest Zelda game. Give it 5 years and it'll be a hidden gem in the Zelda lineup, as happened with Majoras Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess now,

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I liked a couple of the harp songs, but overall I wasn't a big fan of them. Especially since they existed to be used once during a story segment and then never again. The Ballad of the Goddess is nice, though, and the last one -- the Song of the Hero -- that just gets an obligatory two thumbs up.

I'll share a story, though. Early on during my first playthrough, in Faron Woods, I broke a pot somewhere and a fairy came out. I had full health at the time, so I continued on my way, leaving it undisturbed. Usually in previous Zelda games, if you didn't use or capture a fairy within about 10 seconds of finding it, it would fly away, disappear, phase through a wall, or something like that, and be gone forever. So I was really caught off guard when I wandered back into that same area at least a half-hour later and the fairy was still there, flying around like it was waiting for me to come back. I had been all around Faron Woods in that time, though of course not leaving the region for the Deep Woods or anything. That was the first moment the scope of the game really hit me.

First I'm going to say the things I really liked about the game. 

• I really really liked the motion control plus, it was by far one of the most interesting aspects about the game and the way enemies behave made a lot better.
  • I also really liked the story, it's not my favorite in the series but it's still great nonetheless, having to know the story of the first Zelda and the first Link (and the "first" Ganon I guess) was truly amazing, plus the characters were very good (aside of Fi which I'll go into detail later). 
  • The ground areas were really good, a lot of people like to bitch about them but I have no complaints. The desert is really great and I love the present-past mechanic with the time stones or whatever they are called.
  • The last dungeon (where you find the Triforce pieces) is by far my favorite Zelda dungeon ever, simple love the mechanic of being able to move the rooms and I hope they revisit the concept in another Zelda game. Also the pirate ship is amazing.

Those are the things I really liked, now the things I didn't:

• The freaking Master Sword Fi, my god, if people thought Navi was annoying they haven't even touch SS, seriously Fi is by far the worst thing that has ever happened to Zelda. Always interrupting my gameplay to say some stupid things like "there's a 5% chance this is Zelda" and I'm like "Shut up!". Nothing she says is funny, it's only annoying, and don't get me started when my Wii mote battery was low... /rant over
  • While I liked the ground areas, the sky itself is bland and boring, there's nothing to do in it unless you gather the Goddess cubes, there's no point in exploring the sky. 
  • The night: when you think about it, there's only 3 areas where you can go at night (Skyloft, the pumpkin place and Bettle's house), and there's really nothing to do at night aside of collecting some gratitude crystals and some side quest. Maybe this is nitpicking, but I just didn't liked the way the night was handled is SS.
  • The third time you go to the forest when everything is flooded and you have to collect some musical notes or something like that, very tedious and unnecessary.

Overall I liked the game a lot. I put this as my 4th favorite Zelda game (top 3 are: OoT, WW, TP). 

Edit: I forgot about that when you restart the game you have to listen the explanation of collectibles. It's not as bad as TP when that happens with rupees but it's still very annoying.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

I finished the game twice but it was more than a year ago, so i dont remember many things that i liked or disliked.

I did not like Fi, after Midna in Twilight Princess, Fi was a huge disappointment.
I really liked Ghiharim as a character and the battles against him.

Overall i remember that i really liked the game.

tolu619 said:

I have a lot to say myself, but I don't want to post them in the OP. Let me just say now that the most dissapointing aspect of the game for me was the music. It was good during gameplay, but the harp songs were just plain terrible. I actually cringed at most of them and one of them had me wondering whether they were intentionally making the harp songs horrible. Otherwise, I have nothing but praise for every aspect of the game, with a few ideas for tweaks I would have loved to see.

I agree with you, aside of some buried gems in the soundtrack (the overworld theme and some others) the music was really, really meh....the motion controls worked perfectly and made the combat fresh...and dare I say challenging !

Lack of real overworld was okay, revisiting existing areas under different circumstances was good too (with the exception of the flooded woods....that was shit )

I loved it, the art direction is brilliant too, it achieved the combination of WW´s cartoony graphics and TP´s realistic proportions

...but the Zelda cycle continues and people will treat it like an insult to the series´ legacy and want Aonuma´s head on a stick...yadda yadda hurr durr

PS: The moment when you get the Master Sword and you have to use the Wiimote to act like you were pulling the Sword out of the stone...that was awesome !

I want to let all the people here know that i cried like a baby in the last part.
And im proud of it :D

I didn't enjoy playing this game as much as the other Zeldas.. It's my third least favorite Zelda, and heres why:

1. Motion controls. Yeah, I know they worked most of the time, but 97-99% isn't good enough. And I played on a Wii U, so it should have been better.

2. Fi. Need I say more?

3. The music. I was hoping for some big, epic orchestrated soundtrack. But it wasn't as good as I hoped. Only a handful of songs were memorable for me (Skyloft, The Sky, Faron Woods Silent Realm, Knighs Academy). And I really couldn't tell the difference between an orchestrated soundtrack and an MIDI one.

4. The Dungeons. Only 3 of the 7 dungeons for me were memorable (Ancient Cistern, Sandship, Skyloft), but I didn't enjoy 2 of them (Sandship was pretty cool)

That's really just a fraction of what I didn't like about this game.

*Shields eyes from Spoilers* I wonder if I ever will finish Skyward Sword. It's pretty pathetic that it's been out for well over a year and I've only gotten to the Desert Area. (Not completely sure what it is called.)