By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Games for Windows Live Shuts Down Next July

Tagged games:

and now you see why people ranted and raved over Xbox One.

Around the Network

Around the world you can hear the victory cries of the PC community.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

God riddance, time to completely move to the XBox brand.

I'm sorry to say, wont be missed.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Games for Windows Live provided some of the most frustrating, rage-induced moments of my gaming life. I hated and loathed its existence from the moment I first installed it with Fallout 3. The Grudge 5 should be about GFWL. I'm not kidding, the crap I used to have to go through just to play one of my favorite games was ridiculous.

It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I still have a sealed copy of BioShock, which I never installed simply because I found out after it arrived that it was GFWL.

Microsoft didn't just drop the ball with GFWL, they handed it to Steam then turned and blocked for them while delivering a Personal Foul to their own customers.

May it sink down to the depths of hell.

The only bad part, besides the fact that I might have to re-purchase Fallout 3 one day, is the fact that I have 400 Microsoft points (whatever the hell that means) dating back to when I had to buy Fallout 3 DLC through GFWL. UGH. When I read about this, I went to see if there was anything I could buy with those 400 points. Turns out, OMG THE PRICES. They make GameStop look like HalfPrice.com. So yeah, those 400 points are going to be lost in limbo forever.

Actually, hell is too nice for GFWL.

Around the Network

Wait so does this mean that any games that use Windows Live will not be able to work ?

-

BasilZero said:
Muffin31190 said:
Wait so does this mean that any games that use Windows Live will not be able to work ?

Games that require saving through GFWL wont be able to be saved such as Dark Souls (unless someone can clarify or correct me if I am wrong?).

Games that require GFWL for MP like GTAIV - you wont be able to play MP. Not sure if GTAIV requires GFWL for SP.

Bioshock 2 and Batman series are expected to get patched but nothing is certain.

Well this puts a damper on some of my games then ..

pezus said:
Lawsuits incoming

From the sounds of it, as with Age of Empires Online, the game is transferring over to Steam.

Age of Empires Online (a Microsoft game) transferred over to Steam some time ago, though it required both a Steam account and a Xbox LIVE gamertag.  It sounds like it'll fully move over to Steam and include Steam achievements, as well as utilizing Steam accounts for PVP.

Though, it'd be nice if they just made Age Of Empires Online an Xbox One game so you could play it on the console.  They'd just have to optimize the interface for the controller or include keyboard/mouse support, or a Smartglass interface.

The change impacts gamertags and anything built around those gamertags.  Not the ability to download or play games you already have.  My Age of Empires III collection will work just fine.  It doesn't use gamertags or Windows Games LIVE for any online gaming.

And this, people, is why I hate DRM. When it goes down, there's no guarantee your games will work. That said, I'm very happy GfWL is going down. Literally the only good thing about it I've heard is that it works with XBL (ie. achievements, friend list), everything else is either neutral ("it's not as bad as people say") or different kinds of bad, usually related to the whole thing not working.