By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which do you prefer ... 3rd person shooters or FPS?

Tagged games:

Which do you prefer?

First Person Shooters (FPS) 17 15.89%

3rd Person Shooters (TPS) 78 72.90%

Can't choose really. I j... 10 9.35%

Neither 2 1.87%

Total:107

Simple really. Which of the two do you prefer? With respect to FPS, I only enjoyed the COD games that were set in the Second World War, and Killzone 2 is a game I thorougly enjoyed, but beyond those two I have little interest in the genre. I tend to enjoy most TPS games - Uncharted, Gears, Max Payne, Spec Ops, MGS (if you're willing to place it here due to the shooting elements) and even those with RPG elements like Mass Effect. How about you guys? Which do you prefer? Or do you like both?

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network

TPS. FPS makes me lose connection to the main character.

Depends on the effort poured into the game. Generally speaking, I prefer third person shooters, but there are some horrible TPS, and well-crafted FPS. That's why Metro: Last Light is, for me, one of the best games of this generation.

LilChicken22 said:
TPS. FPS makes me lose connection to the main character.

Hmmm ... Interesting. I never thought of it that way. I find the great majority feel generic, for me. I never get deep in them with the exception of the two examples I gave.

Wright said:

Depends on the effort poured into the game. Generally speaking, I prefer third person shooters, but there are some horrible TPS, and well-crafted FPS. That's why Metro: Last Light is, for me, one of the best games of this generation.

Well put ... I am willing to give Metro and Bioshock a try since they seem to deviate from the norm. They look genuinly interesting to me.

Around the Network
Weedlab said:
Wright said:

Well put ... I am willing to give Metro and Bioshock a try since they seem to deviate from the norm. They look genuinly interesting to me.

Beaten Bioshock 2 on my friend's Ps3, and I can say it was worth the trip too. It has exploration, interesting story and it's long (for being a FPS). Metro games are awesome as well, you should check my review of Last Light on the Unbiased Review thread.

Third... I much prefer to see my character. Only certain games, like COD BLOPS2 on Wii U, do I find 1st is the way to go.

Wright said:
Weedlab said:
Wright said:

Beaten Bioshock 2 on my friend's Ps3, and I can say it was worth the trip too. It has exploration, interesting story and it's long (for being a FPS). Metro games are awesome as well, you should check my review of Last Light on the Unbiased Review thread.

You are the second person in as many days to tell me that about Bioshock 2. I will get the trilogy when they are released, or get the combo pack of 1 and 2 with the DLC plus Infinite GOTY. I definitely want Metro. I was impressed by what I read, and I did manage to read your review already.

TPS. To make FPS games work, your character has to be fairly immobile. If you make any sudden movements, you'll lose track of your character and aim, and that's no good. So, you're limited in the variety of moves and abilities you can give the character.

Fairly indifferent about it, honestly. Which ever one fits the game better.

4 ≈ One