By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [CONFIRMED] Gran Turismo Movie (GamesCom Details)

Tagged games:

Hollywood news site “TheWrap” is reporting some rather strange and certainly unexpected news: Sony Pictures has started production on an “action movie” based on the Gran Turismo series.

The film will be created by Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti, two high-profile producers who have worked on Oscar-nominated films such as “The Social Network”, “Moneyball”, and the upcoming movie adaption of the best-selling book “Fifty Shades of Grey”.

TheWrap notes that Sony is looking to compete with car-related movies from other studios, such as Universal’s “The Fast and the Furious”, DreamWork’s upcoming “Need for Speed”, and and Legendary Pictures’ upcoming “Hot Wheels”.

No further details are available, but GTPlanet will keep a close eye on the progress of the film as production moves forward.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-movie-in-production-by-sony-pictures/

Maybe something based in GT Academy?

Around the Network

well thats stupid

I think it is time to dominate Hollywood

bananaking21 said:
well thats stupid

Why? I like The Fast and the Furious (at least the first movies).

ethomaz said:
bananaking21 said:
well thats stupid

well it will damage the brand, no way around it. if they make it like a fast and furious movie people who dont know the brand will buy it assuming its like a need for speed game. then they will realize its a sim. on the other hand a lot of fans series wont like the movie because it wont stay "true" to the part of the series which is realisim in racing. its a lose lose situations

they are just whoring out the brand name to make a quick buck, i hope sony doesnt start making this for all their games. an uncharted movie would be great, why? it has a lot of similarities with big budget movies. a gran turismo movie? ohh come on

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
bananaking21 said:
well thats stupid

Fast and Furious and other car related movies are great (gone in 60 seconds, ect)

BUT what is stupid is making a Gran Turismo movie.  I see absolutely no reason why whatever movie they produce would need the name "Gran Turismo" and would not work just as good if not better with another name.

What does the game Gran Turismo have in it that would add to a movie at all?  It's just about racing a car on tracks and upgrading your car.  There is nothing UNIQUE about Gran Turismo that warrants a movie.

bananaking21 said:

well it will damage the brand, no way around it. if they make it like a fast and furious movie people who dont know the brand will buy it assuming its like a need for speed game. then they will realize its a sim. on the other hand a lot of fans series wont like the movie because it wont stay "true" to the part of the series which is realisim in racing. its a lose lose situations

they are just whoring out the brand name to make a quick buck, i hope sony doesnt start making this for all their games. an uncharted movie would be great, why? it has a lot of similarities with big budget movies. a gran turismo movie? ohh come on

You can be right but I think even the movie goes wrong no damage will be made in the videogame series.

ethomaz said:

bananaking21 said:

You can be right but I think even the movie goes wrong no damage will be made in the videogame series.

Yea I doubt it will hurt the video game sales. 

I actually think it will hurt the movie sales.  I think extra extra hard about going to a video game based movie.  There are soooo sooo few decent even video game to movie adaptations that just seeing the movie title "gran Turismo" would probably turn me off from even considering going to it or seeing it.

It's like Movie to video game the same thing.  I would greatly anticipate and check out a new Spiderman game.  A Spiderman movie based game though, would probably not even be on my radar.  Not because I know the storyline already either.

No...just...no...N4S movie makes more sense than this. Simply because this makes none whatsoever

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

ethomaz said:

bananaking21 said:

it will. movies reach the mass market, it reaches the people who just play CoD and Fifa and nothing else. Sony will surely market the movie extensivly and it will reach those people, they will form an idea about the name "gran turismo" based on that movie, it will hurt the brand one way or another. there is simply nothing in the game that they can base the movie on, they are going to make a story from nothing, a setting from nothing as well. when those people who watch the movie then try out gran turismo they will see nothing in commen, therefore they will hate the game.

when it comes to a movie like uncharted or assassins creed, they will have similar characters, story, events, and setting. when they grab the game they will be like "ahhh this was in the movie!" with gran turismo, that can never happen.