By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How is Violence in Video Games wrong?

Tagged games:

What did you think?

I thought this topic was ... 7 77.78%

That is awesome 2 22.22%

Total:9

That's a hard one. All media and entertainment mediums has some sort violence. Movies, TV, Music, Video Games, etc. My guess is that video games are always at the front of being the cause for rise in violence in kids because a video games lets you control the violence itself. It gives people choice to play violently or peaceful, although in most games the violence is forced and is encouraged.

A kid can play violent video games but the parents have to involvement in it. Whether it is to moderate the amount of time the children play these games, pick and choose which games are appropriate, or just be a part of the experience, letting the kid know how video games work and to make sure they try to detach what can be done in a video game from what should not be done in real life. Make sure the kid understands that it's all fantasy.

In conclusion, I have always said it that the fault lies in the parents mindlessly buying their kids Call of duty at age 10.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

I recently witnessed a boy around 8-10 wanting to buy lollipop chainsaw. His mom said no at 1st, but he got it in the end.

I think there are 2 problems here, publishers who aim for the M rating like it's some requirement and then marketing it like "it's for the big kids", and the parents who let them consume such media just because.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Personally, I feel the violence in these games are getting too ridiculous, seriously, almost each game have to have a little bit of gore in, as if its some sort of law or something. But there nothing wrong about having violence in a game, that's what ratings for.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

I see what you did here.

Parents misjudge their kids and over protect them, which then creates a large gap between them and a large gap between the kid and his repressed emotions, which then he takes it all out on his games and people online.

Violent video games aren't the cause of violence , they're an escape to some kids, and the blame isn't on the kids nor the parents or even the media, its a mix of everything.

That boy is lucky to have a father like that, but not every person is lucky

what parents should do is embrace the fact that their kids are into something, and allow them to make mistakes.

what the kids should do is do mistakes , and never be afraid of doing these mistakes or else they will just be repressed and then it goes full circle back to the main problem which is repressed emotions

let your child have an opinion, don't shut them up, if (s)he sees violence on tv, (s)he wont turn into a savage killing machine, (s)he will instead learn and have an opinion on what is wrong or right, and whats wrong or right is subjective, because everything can be wrong or right.

I myself watched slasher horror movies like Pet Sematary , horror anime movies like Wicked City, some weird hentai that confused my idea of what a woman looks like naked, and a lot of violent video games, I haven't turned into a psychopathic killer yet, nor have I raped someone yet, instead i prefer stuff like Anima crossing nowadays, as I am in a very deep state of depression (but thats another story) with that being said , I did this all without my parents permission because they never let me do anything for myself , so I had the urge to watch that kind of stuff out of curiosity, you can never learn without curiosity , curiosity might kill the cat , but indifference kills human experience.

Around the Network

B-But think about the Children....!

gooch_destroyer said:
B-But think about the Children....!

Mmm... children...

I mean, wait what?!

I let me son play COD with me. He has zero interest in standard multiplayer and campaign. its all about zombies to him. Even with the option to play COD, he would prefer to play LBP and build levels. outside of that he shows zero aggression and zero violence, he doesnt miss behave aswell, because he knows i dont put up with shit and will straight up delete his shit off the HD as punishment. Playing video games together allows us to connect and we can share a common interest that we both love.

There are Some games tho I wouldnt let him play or watch. He begged me to let him watch TLOU, but I think that is a bit over the top for a kid.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

I gotta say, after watching ultra violent movies and shows like Game of Thrones, no amount of pixelated blood, gore and explosions in video games phases me any more.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

It is the new medium that old generation either has no experience or has loose second hand experience. For example, I highly doubt any of the US Senators bemoaning video game violence actually play games. They hear or see something and think "kids should not experience that!" even though the average gamer is in their 30s at this point in time.

You can see this disconnect in film's portrayal of games as well. My favorite is seeing a game you know has a gorgeous full orchestra sound track and the film overlays 80s arcade sounds because "that's what video games sound like, right?"

I'd say by 2030 much of this double standard will be gone as parents will far more likely to play and understand games and be able to educate their children far better.