By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Japanese developers started making RPGs like Skyrim or Fallout...

Tagged games:

Would they be considered JRPGs????

Yes 35 34.31%

No 49 48.04%

They are W-J-RPGs 18 17.65%

Total:102

If Japanese developers started making RPGs like Skyrim or Fallout, would those games still be considered JRPGs just because they're made in Japan????

Around the Network

techically i think still japanese but not in style, i mean ni no kuni and fallout new vegas play incrediblly different. random examples but two rpg games ive played recently

I think we would need to classify them as something else, maybe jrpg becomes traditional rpg and wrpg becomes modern rpg.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It is considered an JRPG indeed.

yes, still JRPG

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network

Dark Souls.
it doesn't matter what a game is, only matters if its good or not.

And why did the clasification of RPGs based on the country of origin appear?

Then we would get Dark souls which is 100 times better than skyrim or fallout :D

Wright said:

D

Dragon's Dogma.

It is considered an JRPG indeed.

I consider them JRPGs, however, JRPG is a poor term for these games.  The original JRPG was Dragon Warrior..  Your standard WRPG is Ultima, Wizardry, or Might and Magic.  Either overhead style games like the Ultima titles or in the future games like Baldur's Gate, etc, or first person dungeon crawlers that were influenced by JRPGs. 

WRPGs and JRPGs have grown to have different styles of gameplay though and a game like Dragon's Dogma I don't just call an JRPG.  The Elder Scrolls isn't something I'd call a WRPG.

Games like Dragon's Dogma, The Elder Scrolls, Demon's Souls, Borderlands, etc, I filter them into the Action Adventure genre.  They're not your traditional JRPGs, they're not your traditional adventure games, and they're not your traditional action games.  They're more Action Adventure than anything else.

I define TRPG as grid based strategy RPGs while SRPGs as strategy RPGs.

With as diverse games have become, people just generalizing everything as "RPG" is bad for the genre.  Someone happens to see a game and then they see the generalization "RPG," they might now like one style of RPG that they think is the RPG genre and they don't even bother with what might an interesting game for them.  RPG is becoming so generalized that people are calling games that aren't even RPGs as such.  Zelda, Darksiders, etc.  

Just a pet peeve and it'd be nice if people would try to differentiate what type it is rather than does it come from Japan or come from the west? 

AshKetchum1992 said:
And why did the clasification of RPGs based on the country of origin appear?

Because back in the SNES to PSX days Japan made a very distinct brand of RPGs defined largely by Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. With a few veriations such as Secret of Mana and Tactics Ogre etc. Where as Western developers branched off in a seperate direction with games like TES, Fallout, later Ultima and eventually Infinity engine etc. And the labels just kinda stuck, even tho even back in the day their was some overlap especially in the dungeon crawler sub genre.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!