By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Overrated"

Tagged games:

Who else here hates this bloated, self-serving, snotty piece of "opinion"?

Every time I read a comment that starts with "This is the most overrated ... " I feel like reaching through the monitor and slapping the ever living daylights out of whoever's on the other side. It's the laziest cop out ever conceived and it serves no purpose than for a gross form of narcissism and of patting one's own back for how "clever" they are.

Everything is "over-*******-rated" these days, everyone's an arm chair critic - without at least EVEN TRYING to offer an informed or impartial opinion -; everything is rated in 0s or 10s, no middle ground, no arguments, no use than to just help in wasting everyone's time.

"It's opinion"...NO, it's NOT! It's a judgement of someone else's opinion, a sad excuse attempt at being cleverer than anyone else.

I felt like venting, you guys are my victims, I'm not even sorry.

If you hate this cancer on the face of internet conversation, have one on me:

Around the Network

I don't drink alcohol.

Better now?

JinxRake said:

Who else here hates this bloated, self-serving, snotty piece of "opinion"?

Every time I read a comment that starts with "This is the most overrated ... " I feel like reaching through the monitor and slapping the ever living daylights out of whoever's on the other side. It's the laziest cop out ever conceived and it serves no purpose than for a gross form of narcissism and of patting one's own back for how "clever" they are.

Everything is "over-*******-rated" these days, everyone's an arm chair critic - without at least EVEN TRYING to offer an informed or impartial opinion -; everything is rated in 0s or 10s, no middle ground, no arguments, no use than to just help in wasting everyone's time.

"It's opinion"...NO, it's NOT! It's a judgement of someone else's opinion, a sad excuse attempt at being cleverer than anyone else.

I felt like venting, you guys are my victims, I'm not even sorry.

If you hate this cancer on the face of internet conversation, have one on me:

Whoa, you seem to need one yourself^^

I agree with you btw, the one word which infuriates me more than "overrated" is "entitled", though. Accusing someone of being an entitled gamer IMMEDIATELY ends any meaningful conversation since the accused person either leaves, has do defend himself or gets flamed. GROOOOOOAR!!!

Insulting people like your post directly is far worse. Swearing and analogies to cancer are not favourable to your point.

When people say overrated they imagine there is some universal quality scale only they can percieve, which other people are mistaken on. In actual fact, if lots of people bought and enjoyed a game, it's a good game. To them. And that's OK, and they're not wrong, and your opinion of the game isn't wrong either.

"has good/bad taste" should be "has different taste" followed by an explanation of the difference.

Around the Network
JinxRake said:

Everything is "over-*******-rated" these days, everyone's an arm chair critic - without at least EVEN TRYING to offer an informed or impartial opinion -; everything is rated in 0s or 10s

Nope.

For example, I think TLOU is overrated by the media. In my opinion that game is a 8/10. While it has those strenghts expected from a ND game, it also has many flaws such as bad AI and glitches. It also gets repetitive towards the end, so I don't think it should be rated 10/10. I'm not even exploring anymore just to find more bottles and bricks, maybe find something to craft that I won't need or a pendant that does nothing.

When I see reviews after reviews saying 10/10, my expectations grow, and when it isn't delivered, I'm disappointed. 

Aside from over-rated, I hate the word "decent". Especially when it's used by some wannabe hotshot that thinks he knows about games or some crap.

"Meh, that game was only somewhat decent.."

In my opinion this is the most overrated thread of the day.

W....T....F, typical VGChartz day i guess.

How can ANYTHING be overrated? There is, has never been, will never be an universal scale to which you can compare. As such, anything is rated as exactly what a person considers it to be rated, based on themselves and their experience. To call that wrong is to call life wrong - stretching the analogy a fair bit -.

Not agreeing is one thing. It's your opinion, it's your own interpretation of quality and how it affects you.
To call something overrated is to call everyone else wrong because they have a different opinion. And hence, my problem.

Heck, I don't like the Twilight books. I honestly think they're garbage. That doesn't make them overrated as I can see what in them would spark it off with teens these days and how they could gain traction. It's one thing to disagree...it's another to outright call someone wrong because in your version of the world sparkling vampires are a stupid idea - I am aware of some of the irony / hypocrisy of saying this -.