By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro is NOT working on a second game! Donkey Kong is all we get for a while

Tagged games:

How do you feel about this?

I'm prefectly fine with ... 43 31.39%

Nooos! I wanted another Metroid! 24 17.52%

Nooos! I wanted a new IP from them! 24 17.52%

They're only working on ONE game? WTF!? 41 29.93%

rezz 5 3.65%

Total:137

Sadly we won't get a second game from Retro in the near future:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid

Retro would love to work on the Metroid series again, but it's not currently doing so. Though many expected a move to HD would lure Retro back to the franchise that made it famous, Retro president Michael Kelbaugh told me in an interview that his team felt Donkey Kong Country needed more attention.

"Well, we love Metroid. We love Metroid Prime and we always will. It was a big part of our studio, the culture of the studio. The majority of that team is still at Retro," Kelbaugh said. "When we finished with DK, we still had a lot of really cool ideas. That, in combination with what the Wii U could do, we really wanted to continue with that. Again, Retro Studios loves Metroid. We might do another one someday. But we really enjoyed working with DK as well."

Of course, many Nintendo fans refuse to give up hope, and might assume that Retro is working on both Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and some sort of Metroid project. While the developer certainly might have ideas, and could be doing some tests, it won't be working on two major projects simultaneously.

"We’re pretty much on one major project at a time. We do a game every two years or three years," Kelbaugh said. "In the first year of that, we have some extra bandwidth, so sometimes… We helped out with Mario Kart 7. We helped Monster Games do the 3DS version. Sometimes we’ll have a little bit of extra bandwidth to help out other entities at Nintendo. We really feel strongly about helping out Nintendo as a whole, so if we have time, we’ll do that. Do we have the bandwidth to do two major projects at once? I don’t think so. A big project and a little project at the same time, we can do that."

So Retro is working on Tropical Freeze. It doesn't have two teams working on two major projects, even though it might be interested in returning to Metroid one day. What, then, is the future of Samus Aran's intergalactic adventures? I turned to Kensuke Tanabe, an Executive Officer at Nintendo, and the man responsible for producing Retro's games, including the Metroid Prime series.

"Basically I’m thinking of, not just Samus, but how we can expand the whole Samus universe," Tanabe said. "You remember Metroid Prime Hunters. I’m thinking about things like how we could make that go out further, with all these different bounty hunters as well."

So Retro is NOT working on a Metroid, or anyother game right now. I'm so sad =(

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

A shame that it won't be coming anytime soon...but at least it means that DK should be as good as possible.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

i'm in denial. All i read was: "we have metroid in the works but i don't want to ruin the surprise"

Not surprising. I've had a bit of whinge at DKC being Retro's secret project, but now I've had a few days to get used to the idea I'm pretty excited. And when you think about just how much content and imagination went into their first DK effort, 3 years for each game is pretty reasonable.

After Metroid Other M, I doubt we will see one any time. I don't blame Nintendo at all either.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
That's good news. Means that DKC5 won't be halfassed.

You're absolutely right Rol! I'm confident it'll be a kick ass game, but at the same time it feels like a wasted opportunity for Retro (and for Wii U); this is the time to get new IP's out!

when did retro hire those people from bioware and naughty dog? cause they might be on there next project after donkey kong is done

Oh well, here's to hoping DKR2 is awesome! I seem to be one of the few that thought the trailer looked great from the outset and had all indications of improving on the Wii game.

animegaming said:
when did retro hire those people from bioware and naughty dog? cause they might be on there next project after donkey kong is done

THIS is what I'm hoping for as well! Maybe they have some kind of deal with Nintendo? Something like, if they do another Donkey Kong they can do their own thing afterwards?

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:
RolStoppable said:
That's good news. Means that DKC5 won't be halfassed.

You're absolutely right Rol! I'm confident it'll be a kick ass game, but at the same time it feels like a wasted opportunity for Retro (and for Wii U); this is the time to get new IP's out!

This is the time to keep the system relevant at all. Some of you still haven't grasped how serious the situation is. Third parties won't come back and the ones that are still there will move away over time. The Wii U lacks the design to expand gaming. All that's left is to convince Nintendo fans that the system is worth buying and for that cause Nintendo needs to release sequels to their established IPs without wacky experimental ideas. Build an installed base, then sell a lot of software until 2017/18 when a new Nintendo console can launch. Hopefully one that has some thought put into it.

The new Retro IP you guys were dreaming of was most likely a singleplayer game with no broad appeal. The same would hold true for Metroid Prime 4. DKC5 had to be made first, because the hardware needs to sell.

Your reasoning is perfectly sound. If Nintendo indeed does have a magical crystal ball with which they can see into the future with. If they knew Wii U would fail sales wise, it makes perfect sense to make a new Donkey Kong - but then we have to ask ourselves; if Nintendo knew Wii U would fail, why even make it in the first place? Does. not. make. sense.If Nintendo do not have a crystal ball your logic is flawed.

Donkey Kong has been in production for almost 3 years now, so it's nothing they've cooked up the last 6 months, so we can safely assume this game wasn't designed to help save the failing Wii U. It's designed to play it safe. When is the best time to release a new IP? At the beginning of the gen. We won't get a new IP from Retro until 3 years from now, and that's not the beginning of the gen any longer. This is why Nintendo is wasting the resources Retro has.