By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Chose Donkey Kong Over Metroid as Its First Wii U Title

Tagged games:

Retro Chose Donkey Kong Over Metroid as Its First Wii U Title

Posted Tue 11th Jun 2013 15:05 by Mike Mason

Metroid wasn't the prime choice

Are you happy about Retro's return to the Donkey Kong franchise with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, or would you have preferred something different — a fresh IP or a new entry into the world of Metroid, perhaps?

According to Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh, the developer chose to work on a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns rather than Metroid as its first Wii U title. Kelbaugh stated that the team made the tough decision after realising that it had "unfinished business" with Nintendo's number one gorilla.

ChandraONM @ChandraONM

Michael Kelbaugh (Retro) says that it was hard to decide whether to go with Metroid or not but they felt they had unfinished business w/ dk

Are you looking forward to returning to Donkey Kong Country once again?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/retro_chose_donkey_kong_over_metroid_as_its_first_wii_u_title

Around the Network

Metroid Prime 4 in 2015 confirmed.

So basically Retro thinks they can do a much better job than before.

This actually raises my hype a bit.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

BasilZero said:
Quite pleased with the reveal although only complaint is the lack of kremlings ;(

The Kremlings are actually owned by Microsoft now, so blame them.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

ill forgive them if they have dixie kong

Around the Network

I am disappointing they chose DK so soon after the Wii game :/

they could have done a new IP or gone back to Metroid which does not have to be Prime 4 but a new entry in the franchise

this sure is not what people wanted them to do

oh well

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

aikohualda said:
ill forgive them if they have dixie kong

They do have Dixie Kong.

OT: They already made 3 Metroid Prime games. That's enough. So another DKC is more than welcome and the way they're talking about it looks like they want to outdo themselves with this one. DKCR was already excellent so consider me hyped!

Signature goes here!

Some of you people can't seem to wrap this around your head. DKCR sold more than all of the prime games combined. That's more than enough reason for Nintendo to continue with DK rather than Metroid.

Believe me I wished Retro was working on Metroid but it is something that you are going to have to accept whether you like it or not.

After my "nerd rage" faded away, I watched the trailer again, and the game really looks amazing. I'm still a bit bittersweet that Retro should have made another game, but I don't think I'll regret playing this. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

How about a new IP?