By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita: would you prefer it as a "successful fad" or a "hardcore-only, mass market failure" handheld?

Tagged games:

What do you want for Vita's future?

Hardcore machine. 25 20.00%

Mass appeal machine. 12 9.60%

Combination of both. 46 36.80%

I just want it doomed because I hate Sony. 32 25.60%

I want to see the results. 10 8.00%

Total:125

What topic asks. PS Vita is nearing 5 million units sold, yet it hasn't hit mass market appeal for various reasons (strong competition and relatively high entry price being the main ones).

So I was thinking, imagine if tomorrow Sony released a 'killer app' for Vita just as strong as 7th gen's motion madness fads that caught on fire (Wiimote, Kinect). Except it would be some kind of shovelware by us game-enthusiasts but it would push Vita to huge popularity.

Would you like it to happen or not?

Do you want to see the PS Vita sell 100M units thanks to some kind of mass market appealing shovelware/gimmick?

Or you prefer it to be a 'failed' machine selling less units, with no much mass market appeal, but some hardcore gaming gems (kind of a slow burner, such as the PS3)?

Maybe a combination of both? Discuss.

Around the Network

I want it to sell well because it has a solid slate of software and features that appeal to all kinds of gamers.

The 3DS will probably be the last dedicated handheld that ever does that. I don't see that market lasting much longer.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

My problem with it revolves around its high price, high priced accessories, and lack of compelling games.

So for me, a "mass appeal" device would mean its cost is way lower and it gets a lot of "mass appeal" games. Even if some of these games don't appeal to me, they would still sell hardware. And then with a bigger userbase, you can start to see the more "hardcore" games.

Though I can see a current owner who realized that the thing is dead in the water wanting it to just become a hardcore gamers dream. I was ecstatic when the Dreamcast went that route.

successful fad would me more games and more genres, most of them would be crap but you might find some gems here and there on the opposite an hardcore failure would leave us with more likely a lot of games that are similar and a tiny game library

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I don't see some of these things as mutually exclusive.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
Chark said:
I don't see some of these things as mutually exclusive.

I think the same.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

With a successful fad you'd probably end up get to more core games along with the package. Not to mention Sony really need the money.. They posted positive recently but that was from more selling assets than anything else wasn't it? Fad would be the best outcome for everyone. They'd also be able to drop the price too if it's selling so well.

Something like Playstation Home, for example? I think most Sony fans would be fine about it.

BasilZero said:
Player2 said:

Something like Playstation Home, for example? I think most Sony fans would be fine about it.

Playstation Home on the Vita?

l0l

I have a PS3 but never used home at all o.o.

I tried it a handful of times, but it was never more than an interesting concept at best. Sony just never delivered on it's promise.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

It deserves to sell well. I'd rather it sold well than be a Gamecube-esque scenario (though arguably with worse sales).

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.