By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Over-rated/Under-rated games

Tagged games:

This...has been done, a ton of times in the forum, and might end up getting locked, but what the heck.

Name an over-rated and under-rated game in your opinion. You can name more then 1.

----

For me:

Over-rated: Halo 4, Heavy Rain, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Persona 3, Bioshock Infinite, Nier

Under rated: Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Project Sylpheed, Front Mission, among others.

----

Halo 4 ruined Halo, IMO. It's no longer Halo, it feels completly different. WTF happened to the Flood and Covanent, this new villain feels like he came out of nowhere, and feels like a terrible villain. It no longer feels like Master Chief is the Last super-soldier Spartan, and that there is an immediate danger (Flood covanent), it feels like Master Cheif is some weird one off super hero now, and that his fight is just some stupid nerd fest thing, in the middle of space. Also Cortana was ruined, when did she ever PMS before?

Heavy Rain is not so much over-rated, and it is over hyped. I feel Indigo Prophecy was just as good, if not better of a game, but Heavy Rain sold 4 times better. I beat this game in 1 sitting, and honestly, I liked the game more just because of some hilarious glitches (At the end when the apartment is on fire, I just walked out, well through, the front door and down the stairs. I turned back because I figured this was too easy, and the door not opening wasn't the glitch)

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim While this game is long, and worth $60, it's just so damn repetative, and the plot feels paper thin. I like how the game imerses you in the Elder Scrolls world so well, but I hate how it takes 100 hours to get the story across. Feels inefficient, and playing this game prevents me from playing others.

Persona 3, and well the series - Am I in high school or something? This game really feels targeted for youth, more then something like Pokemon, and I'm shocked at that. I hate how I can't be a whore as a female character, and how decisions are either be good or bad. Why do I have to be an A student, why isn't there a positive stat, and specific branching dialogue choices for being a rebel or bad ass? Plus, randomly generated dungeons, and stop points for while you wait for the story to progress enough really take away from the game.

Bioshock - I just don't get it. The game looks silly, and doesn't feature any particularly amazing plot/physics. To be it's a niche game, but why is it selling so well?

Nier - I also don't get it. As a Cavia games/Drakengard fan, I was really dissappointed with Nier. People keep saying the plot is so damn great, but outside of Emils story, I found the game boring. Plus the 3 other endings were a waste of time.

----

Lost Odyssey - Common JRPG fans, I know some of you hear me. People always talk about how Tales of Vesperia is 360's best JRPG and it's a shame that they can't play it because it's on a westernized console. Bullocks I say, Lost Odyssey is much better, this game is what Final Fantasy should have been like in the HD platforms, and it doesn't get recognition for that. Heck it's even by the creator of Final Fantasy.

The Last Story - Why is this game not selling anywhere nearly as well as XenoBlade? It's better IMO, and wasn't randomly discontinued in North America despite strong sales.

Project Sylpheed - This is what a JRPG mixed with Starfox would be like. How is Starfox so popular, but this so ignored? Amazing game, but a bit short.

Front Mission - 50,000 sales on the DS, that's it? 10,000 for North America? It sold 600,000 units in Japan on the SNES. Damn, this and FF Tactics are literally the only two franchises that give Fire Emblem a run for it's money. Probably has one of the best plots for a JRPG I have ever played. You really get attached to individual characters (unlike Fire Emblem).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

over rated
- batman AA (extremely over rated!)
- Assassins creed 3
- battlefield
- skyrim

under rated
To The Moon
Max Payne
dead island (to some extent)

thats all i can think of now

Michael-5 said:

The Last Story - Why is this game not selling anywhere nearly as well as XenoBlade? It's better IMO, and wasn't randomly discontinued in North America despite strong sales.

Project Sylpheed - This is what a JRPG mixed with Starfox would be like. How is Starfox so popular, but this so ignored? Amazing game, but a bit short.

Not selling anywhere nearly as well as XenoBlade =/= underrated. Man, the game got a 9 from Gamespot. FROM GAMESPOT. A GAME FOR THE WII.

And regarding Project Sylpheed, it got reeeeally mediocre scores. Do you recommend me the game? I saw it for 5 euros in a second-hand store. (7$)

Underrated: Jak and Daxter, Sly, Ratchet and Clank, Persona 4, Shadow of the colossus, Borderlands 2 and Okami and Beyond Good and Evil, Rayman Origins,

Overrated: All Military shooters, Madden, Final Fantasy 7 and 13 Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed (though I did like 2)

Tagged.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:

Not selling anywhere nearly as well as XenoBlade =/= underrated. Man, the game got a 9 from Gamespot. FROM GAMESPOT. A GAME FOR THE WII.

And regarding Project Sylpheed, it got reeeeally mediocre scores. Do you recommend me the game? I saw it for 5 euros in a second-hand store. (7$)

Last Story is under-appreciatted.

---

I definatly recommend Project Sylpheed. It got bad ratings because it's really short (4-6 hours), but it's really great for that time. I liked it better then the Gamecube StarFox games, and the Space Fighter scenes in Halo 4/Reach. I bought my copy for $5, and it's definatly worth it. It's a shame how this game gets ignored.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:

Last Story is under-appreciatted.

---

I definatly recommend Project Sylpheed. It got bad ratings because it's really short (4-6 hours), but it's really great for that time. I liked it better then the Gamecube StarFox games, and the Space Fighter scenes in Halo 4/Reach. I bought my copy for $5, and it's definatly worth it. It's a shame how this game gets ignored.

How's the story, character depth and customization?

bananaking21 said:
over rated
- Assassins creed 3
- battlefield
- skyrim

under rated
To The Moon
Max Payne

Why is batman over-rated? I get the others (except Max Payne, that series is really short, and it's gotten a good amount of positive hype).

I thought Batman was amazing, it's the only game where you play a good guy, and you never kill anyone. It's amazing how well they managed to pull that off, but the series is getting milked a bit.

Oh and I forgot about pokemon as an overrated game

Michael-5 said:
bananaking21 said:
over rated
- Assassins creed 3
- battlefield
- skyrim

under rated
To The Moon
Max Payne

Why is batman over-rated? I get the others (except Max Payne, that series is really short, and it's gotten a good amount of positive hype).

I thought Batman was amazing, it's the only game where you play a good guy, and you never kill anyone. It's amazing how well they managed to pull that off, but the series is getting milked a bit.

2 games...milked

seems legit.