By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Luigi's Mansion US numbers revealed + general 2013DS sales discussion

Tagged games:

The 3DS was criticized initially for a slow ramp of games, something Nintendo has tried to counter with releases like Luigi's Mansion (which Fils-Aime says has sold 415,000 units so far) and today's Nintendo Direct announcements. Over the next nine months, he says, "the pace is going to be dramatically ramped up."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-17-nintendo-our-digital-sales-are-soaring

I'm really happy for Luigi's Mansion. It's in line with what VGC have (450k) unlike FE which was overtracked a lot. This should indicate a strong month for the 3DS in NA. Also Fire Emblem has been confirmed that it topped 240k in the US. I think this really bodes well for future releases (especially SMT4 and Bravely Default) as it shows that the 3DS is capable of selling all types of games, something Nintendo has struggled with in the past. 

Overall software is up by 55% in the same time frame, and the gap should be even bigger with the amazing summer and holidays lineup in store in comparison to a weak one last year. With Lego City, Sould Hackers, DKC, Animal Crossing, Mario Golf,  Mario & Luigi, and SMT4 between now and the end of the summer (adding to Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion earlier this year), Nintendo find themselves in unfamiliar territory. For once they're managing to build momentum and carry it towards the holidays instead of just waiting to release a few games in November and capitalise on the holidays spree. Not since the early DS days has Nintendo done this.

I think compared to 2012 the 3DS is in a much better situation. Last year, after releasing SM3DLand and MK7 late 2011, they killed that momentum with very scarce releases and ended up having a lackluster holiday season (in the West) with an unusually weak holiday lineup (Paper Mario was the only major release). Now they have Pokemon (which alone should suffice), Zelda, Mario Party, and Bravely Default (and whatever Nintendo announce post E3) to end the year with a bang! I honestly think the 3DS may have a shot at 20 mil worldwide this year, especially with Japan getting beast games this year.

Thoughts?

Around the Network
pezus said:
Does this include digital numbers? Looks like some slight overtracking, which should be confirmed by NPD tomorrow if so.

Yes. Slight overtracking, nonetheless impressive

I'm very pleased with the 3DS regarding Soft-Ware. I think it truly has proven that it can sell games that are debuted or exclusively released on the platform. I hope this continues with future releases on the 3DS.

I still think the Hard-Ware sales in the West are riding on the edge of 'pathetic' though.

pezus said:

Does this include digital numbers? Looks like some slight overtracking, which should be confirmed by NPD tomorrow if so.

Edit: And I still say that there's no way 3DS will sell 20m this year. 16-18m quite likely, but 20m is just too much for such a "lackluster" (relatively; down 16%+ so far YOY) first half of the year in sales.

It will reach 20 millions.

pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:

Edit: And I still say that there's no way 3DS will sell 20m this year. 16-18m quite likely, but 20m is just too much for such a "lackluster" (relatively; down 16%+ so far YOY) first half of the year in sales.

Want to bet?

Yep. What do we bet?

Around the Network
pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:

Want to bet?

Yep. What do we bet?

If I win, Vita will be determined the winner of this current handheld gen. If you win, 3DS will be determined the winner. Deal?

Haha no. i could lose 80 times in a row and the Vita would still be a failure.

pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:

Yep. What do we bet?

If I win, Vita will be determined the winner of this current handheld gen. If you win, 3DS will be determined the winner. Deal?

Bah, too bad for you. You were so confident

Alright, the usual then? One month sig+avatar control?

Yeah that seems right. So i win if the 3DS sells 20 million copies by the end of the year, and you win if it falls short. ok?

pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:

Yep. What do we bet?

Yeah that seems right. So i win if the 3DS sells 20 million copies by the end of the year, and you win if it falls short. ok?

Alrighty! I'll put that in my sig

Oh fuck, I lost the place where I keep all my bets.

Good luck!!

POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:

Yep. What do we bet?

End of Nintendo's fiscal year or 2013, make it clear ;) I want to seee blooodddddd

Vinniegambini said:
POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:
pezus said:
POE said:

Yep. What do we bet?

End of Nintendo's fiscal year or 2013, make it clear ;) I want to seee blooodddddd

End of 2013. What do u think ??