By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much will Dragon Quest X impact Wii U sales?

Tagged games:

Well, first of all the game have already been released on wii, it's coming to a console (handhelds generally do better in japan) and it's an MMO. So a lot of stuff that should negativily impact Dragon Quest X's sales. But it's still Dragon Quest.

So how well will the title do on Wii U? And how will it affect Wii U sales? This are ofcource Japanese sales we're talking about.

Around the Network

In all honesty, I can't see it doing that well. Existing Wii-U owners may well buy it, since Japan's release schedule is absolutely barren at the moment. But I can't see it pulling in many new people to buy the console, because it's a lot of money to drop to play a slightly upgraded version of something (to draw a parallel with the west: people didn't buy a Wii-U to play the best versions of Arkham City & Mass Effect 3).

I'm not sure the game is all that popular anyway. It's made an extremely respectable amount of physical sales on Wii, but the true testiment will be how many people are still playing & subscribing every month. BaldrSkies said that a lot of people just play during... kids hour or something? There's a free-to-play hour every day or something like that.

But who knows. Perhaps people didn't buy the Wii version because they knew the Wii-U version was coming. It is Dragon Quest after all, one of the 4 biggest IP's in Japan. So it's a bit of a wildcard, I'd say.

put it this was DQVII would have shifted consoles.

No one really mikes the DQs that are MMORPG

It'll increase it but not by much. It's pretty much an upscaled Wii port.

Maybe a couple K.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I'm thinking that it will provide a small to moderate sized boost. Wii U sales will go up a double digit percentage in Japan, but will fall back down to the usual within a couple of weeks. Still, the game can likely have legs, and I fully expect it to sell at least a quarter million lifetime in Japan on the Wii U.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Salnax said:
I'm thinking that it will provide a small to moderate sized boost. Wii U sales will go up a double digit percentage in Japan, but will fall back down to the usual within a couple of weeks. Still, the game can likely have legs, and I fully expect it to sell at least a quarter million lifetime in Japan on the Wii U.

That honestly seems like a lot to me -_-
Is the game playable only on the gamepad? I it is, and they market it as such, I think the sales could get a lot better.

i think the game will do better than most ppl think, u can carry over your save file to the wii u version which i like and i think other ppl will as well. i think the game will do around 340k 1st week and 600 - 800k this year on the wii u and if nintendo helps push this game in japan and outside then it could push past a million and maybe end up close to 2 million lifetime in sales.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

axumblade said:

Considering it's the worst selling "numbered" Dragon Quest (.64 million) ever, I would say that the WiiU version won't do amazing.

To give you a good idea of what I mean, Dragon Quest VII (a remake for the 3DS) outsold Dragon Quest X in the first week it was released. The next closest to the DQX in sales was DQV (which still has 1 million in sales more than DQX).

I am trying not to sound as bias as I am probably sounding right now. I just don't like MMO's or paying subscriptions to play games that I've already purchased...

You have a right to be biased when talking about how much you dis-like MMO's. 

I completely understand you, Axum!

Best scenario - it'll have a sale blip.
Worst care - won't be noticed at all.

Don`t know how diferente both versions are, so it depends. Being able to keep on playing in the Wii U versions is good but i don`t see many people waiting for this version.
Maybe it will go the same way as MH for Wii U. As for hardware, don`t see a big boost coming.

If only this game had been released with the console, things could have been different.