By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Have nintendo really lost the casuals?

Tagged games:

Have they?

Yes 91 44.83%

Nope 46 22.66%

Maaaaayyybeeee 52 25.62%

Results 14 6.90%

Total:203

I see that a lot of people are saying that the wii u doesn't seem to appeal to casuals. But how is it supposed to? No one know about it. How can you sell something to someone when they don't know that it exists, or what it is for that matter? Also, the console has no games in the wii franchise, no wii fit, no wii sports and no  wii party. They got a few games for casuals (sing, just dance), but does that really matter if the demographic they are selling it to doesn't know that the wii u is a thing? 

Assuming that nintendo manages to convey the message of what the wii u is (make a good commercial, "wii would like u to play" or something), and they make a wii sports, and they give some commercials for that game and wii fit, can nintendo get the casuals back, or are they lost forever?

Around the Network

Well, they said they want the "Core" audience again and that's what they made the Wii U for. Good idea? No. But they seem to think it is. I chose the "maybe" option because that one best fit what I thought.

I think they've lost a good chunk of the super uber casuals who are now playing on FB, kinect, or cellphones. But they will still be very appealing to the family unit just like always. They just need games and maybe some cheaper bundles.

NintendoPie said:

Well, they said they want the "Core" audience again and that's what they made the Wii U for. Good idea? No. But they seem to think it is. I chose the "maybe" option because that one best fit what I thought.

Didn't they say that they wanted all on board? 

I dont think we'll know until january 2014. If Mario Kart U fail, Wii Fit U, and all those games they are likely to release by fall, then yes. Nintendo have until then to prove it can compete. There is still a chance they can pull a 3DS and invigorate the home console. But, we'll just have to see.

Around the Network
IsawYoshi said:
NintendoPie said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said that they wanted the hardcore back. I don't remember them mentioning casuals but I could be wrong.

Wii 2006: Cheap console with cheap games (compared to its peers), became a casual favorite

Wii U 2013: Expensive console with HD priced game, sales abysmal no continuation from Wii's success
--------------------------------------------------
Cellphones 2006: Bricks, no real functionality outside calling and texting

Cellphones 2013:Cheap consoles with cheap games (compared to its peers), becomes a casual favorite

Train wreck said:
Wii 2006: Cheap console with cheap games (compared to its peers), became a casual favorite

Wii U 2013: Expensive console with HD priced game, sales abysmal no continuation from Wii's success
--------------------------------------------------
Cellphones 2006: Bricks, no real functionality outside calling and texting

Cellphones 2013:Cheap consoles with cheap games (compared to its peers), becomes a casual favorite

You don't think that both can exist? My friens regularely plays wii sports resort over at my house since none of them got a wii themselves. I still think that there is a market, but seeing the same sales as wii is impossible.

RolStoppable said:
People will buy when the games and price of the console are right. Getting fans of Wii Sports to buy a Wii U will obviously be easier, if Wii Sports is on the system and is an improvement over previous installments.

Nintendo hasn't lost these gamers forever, but they have lost goodwill by designing the Wii U in a way that doesn't meet these people's expectations. This means that these people won't buy based on potential, but rather on available games and thus it will take quite a while before Nintendo can expect an upswing in Wii U sales.

Spot on.

NintendoPie said:
IsawYoshi said:
NintendoPie said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said that they wanted the hardcore back. I don't remember them mentioning casuals but I could be wrong.

Well, I can't remeber the details, but even though they didn't say so, I doubt that they will just let that audience go without fight. I think we will see wii u sports at this e3.