By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

I've seen very many people on VGChartz say that the Mario series "Is so milked it's not even funny" or, "Nintendo just doesn't know what to do other than milk a series not even worth the cost of a cardboard box." And I say to these people, are you crazy? Mario is the best selling series out there. You just can't beat it, and, obviously, Nintendo can't either. 

If people are still enjoying the series, what's wrong with a bi-/yearly release? Nothing, I tell you, nothing.

You can start whining about "Mario is so milked!" once Nintendo start releasing more than one in the time span of a few (like 3 or so) months.

Around the Network

Didn't Sticker Star and NSMBU come out almost the same week? I know those are technically different franchises, but it's all Mario to me and I say goddamn.

badgenome said:
Didn't Sticker Star and NSMBU come out almost the same week? I know those are technically different franchises, but it's all Mario to me and I say goddamn.

We all know that Paper Mario: Sticker Star doesn't deserve the title of "Paper Mario."

NintendoPie said:

I've seen very many people on VGChartz say that the Mario series "Is so milked it's not even funny" or, "Nintendo just doesn't know what to do other than milk a series not even worth the cost of a cardboard box." And I say to these people, are you crazy? Mario is the best selling series out there. You just can't beat it, and, obviously, Nintendo can't either. 

If people are still enjoying the series, what's wrong with a bi-/yearly release? Nothing, I tell you, nothing.

You can start whining about "Mario is so milked!" once Nintendo start releasing more than one in the time span of a few months.

There were 6 Mario themed games in 2012 alone. It's more milked than Call of Duty :P

"Milked" is an undefined term so people will naturally form their own definitions to fit their argument. A game can be milked or not milked depending on who you ask and what they define it as, making the word ultimately meaningless. I say stop using the word altogether and talk about the specific issues you have with Nintendo's release frequency with the game. That way there's no confusion and discussion can be more straightforward.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
badgenome said:

We all know that Paper Mario: Sticker Star doesn't deserve the title of "Paper Mario."

And this is what the problem is.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I more often get the impression that people think the character is milked, not so much a particular series of Mario games. People are "tired of seeing his face" or whatever. I mean, he appears in at least three games every year, so yeah, Nintendo uses him a lot. But he's their mascot, and his games sell well. They're not going to stop using him just because people who don't play the games are tired of them coming out.

People yearn for the days when Mega Man got two or three games a year...

Chark said:

What? I thought everyone knew that Paper Mario: Sticker Star was a really horrible game?

Like I said many times before. Nintendo milks the Mario character, they don't milk the genres he appears on (the only one could be 2D platformers, but it's been 4 games across 4 consoles so that's debatable).

Nintendo and PC gamer

NintendoPie said:
Chark said:

What? I thought everyone knew that Paper Mario: Sticker Star was a really horrible game?

The logic here is that Sticker Star is a horrible game as a result of Mario's high release frequency.