By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA and Nintendo

Tagged games:

So, I see a lot of nintendo fans saying that EA is trying to kill nintendo or whatever, and a lot of people that say that it's a decicion based up on how much the company earned from the wii u now at launch. I think it's a place in between. Why?

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/186504/EAs_money_man_spills_the_beans_on_its_nextgen_plans.php#.URs4Qx2ZYbA

I read this article last night, and came to this place in the article: "And if a next-gen console doesn't come out until next Christmas, most people won't wait. They'll want to be involved in getting those titles early, because their friends are all playing those titles, and because they're being played on a current generation's consoles."

See? Right there, EA themselves says one of the reasons to why people where not buying the wii u version. He was talking about ps4 and xbox 720, but it's the same deal. Not to mention the fact that the wii u versions had outdated tech, and that many people didn't have money enough to justify a console with the games they want the most, and then also fifa or Madden.

Furthermore, look at mass effect 3 on the wii u. When I first saw this game got annouced, I was like: "yay!" But then I remebered, it is a story driven franchise. So I said to myself that I would buy it if they made a triology. And they did. But not for wii u. And they released it on nov. the 6th, while the wii u version of one of the games in the triology came out on the 18th (american dates). Not only that.

Here are the prices for the two games in norwegian currency. You should be able to get the point without american currency.

Triology: 399kr     http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=765318&gclid=CImzjqDcsrUCFY94cAodK0UAww

Mass effect 3 wii u: 449kr   http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=767869

So, while I understand that EA needs to make money when they put games on the wii u, I think it in many ways are their fault that games didn't go as well as they hoped. 

What do you think?

Around the Network

They have a different goal post for Nintendo platforms. It's a mobile one.

I don't know if EA executives are holding secret meetings in dimly-lit rooms debating how best to destroy Nintendo.

But I imagine a company as disruptive as Nintendo wouldn't really fit into the long-term business plan of EA, which wants the industry to be as predictable and uniform as possible.

I think it's the Origin thing plus a great desire to see the industry continue exactly as it was last gen (Xbox/PS3 get all main games).

Origin has been the best excuse they could give to a Nintendo/Steam user like me. Now I'm sure that I won't spend a dime on EA games.

Around the Network
Kynes said:
Origin has been the best excuse they could give to a Nintendo/Steam user like me. Now I'm sure that I won't spend a dime on EA games.

Haha, yeah, origin is the origin of loads of EA haters. But steam did the same thing back in the day, and steam were just as sucky, if not more at that time. 

EA has long been at odds with Nintendo, dating back to the 16-bit days. It is their ideal that the market will one day be solely about software with hardware manufacturers irrelevant. Perhaps with cloud boxes on your TV. They have openly said as much. Nintendo has never fit with them, with what was once strict software control and with continued hardware platforms that are uniquely Nintendo and dominated by Nintendo software. EA, like all 3rd parties, have a vested interest in platforms like Sony and MS where the 1s party is not nearly as significant. There is no secret conspiracy, but their is a preference, and EA's preference is not a Nintendo dominated world.

BS!!.. you bunch of conspiracy theorist!!,... nothing to see here people... move along!...

GOOO PS360!

BluGamer23 said:
BS!!.. you bunch of conspiracy theorist!!,... nothing to see here people... move along!...

GOOO PS360!

We all love conspiracy theories, especially the ones that benefit ourselves :D

IsawYoshi said:
Kynes said:

Haha, yeah, origin is the origin of loads of EA haters. But steam did the same thing back in the day, and steam were just as sucky, if not more at that time. 

I want all of my games on the same sucky DD service. I don't want to use several platforms, and I'm already married with Steam, so EA won't touch my PC, the same with UPlay/Capsule or any other client.